World

At least 13 Tunisians missing as migrant boat headed for Italy capsizes

Al Jazeera · 2026-08-22

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: At least 13 Tunisians are missing after a migrant boat capsized off the Tunisian coast while attempting to reach Italy; two survivors were rescued, with one in critical condition. • Why it matters: This incident highlights the ongoing dangers faced by migrants attempting to cross the Mediterranean, amid a backdrop of increased maritime controls and a decline in crossings from Tunisia due to EU-supported crackdowns. • What to watch next: The response from the Tunisian government and the European Union regarding migration policies, as well as potential humanitarian implications following the recent criticism of the EU-Tunisia migration deal by human rights organizations.

SaveSharefacebookxwhatsapp-strokecopylinkThousands of people have died trying to cross from North Africa to Europe since 2014, according to the International Organization for Migration [File: Reuters/Yannis Behrakis]By Al Jazeera Staff and ReutersPublished On 22 Aug 202622 Aug 2026At least 13 Tunisians are missing after a boat carrying migrants sank off the Tunisian coast while sailing towards Italy, according to a migrant rights group.Two people were rescued from the boat, which set off early on Thursday, Mostafa Abdelkebir, the head of the Tunisian Observatory for Human Rights, said on Saturday.Recommended Stories list of 3 itemslist 1 of 3Peru rescues people trapped by landslides on highway for nearly a weeklist 2 of 3Antigovernment protesters take to Tunisia’s streets for second monthlist 3 of 3How a social media campaign triggered huge migrant surge on Ceutaend of listOne of the two survivors told rescuers on board a local boat that they had been stranded at sea for hours after their vessel capsized. The second survivor was in critical condition, said Abdelkebir, whose group monitors migration issues.Tunisia was once a major departure point for migrants attempting to reach Europe, but the number of people attempting the crossing from Tunisia has declined sharply in the last two years amid a crackdown and tighter maritime controls supported by the European Union.The North African country had also been a key departure point for people from across Africa seeking to reach Europe, many of them travelling in overcrowded or unseaworthy boats. Tunisia-EU deal faces criticismIn July, 46 rights groups, including Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch, issued a joint statement criticising the EU’s 2023 deal with Tunisia to curb migration.The deal provides Tunisia with funding to carry out EU border control in the country, and this has led to “reckless and violent interceptions at sea” of refugees, “collective and summary expulsions”, and “fueled and normalized serious human rights violations”, the groups said.They called on the EU to suspend funding for migration and ⁠border-control activities involving Tunisian security forces.The International Organization for Migration estimates that more than 35,000 people have gone missing in the Mediterranean since 2014.The Tunisian Observatory for Human Rights has previously estimated that about 10,000 Tunisians have gone missing at sea attempting to cross to Europe since 2011.

Source: Al Jazeera
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
World

China’s new moon mission could unlock secret of lunar ice: Why that matters

• What happened: China is preparing to launch its Chang’e-7 unmanned lunar mission, aimed at exploring the presence of ice water in the moon's south pole, ...

World

‘It was a tsunami’: Floods leave death trail in India’s Assam

• What happened: Severe monsoon floods in Assam, India, from July 18 to July 20 resulted in over 100 deaths, the destruction of 2,700 villages, and the displace...

World

Latest news bulletin | August 22nd, 2026 – Morning

• What happened: A news bulletin from Euronews highlights significant global events, including a deadly landslide in the Central African Republic, a growing Ebo...

World

Canada says it will match US tariffs 'dollar for dollar' as trade talks break down

• What happened: Canada announced it will impose reciprocal tariffs on US goods "dollar for dollar" following the breakdown of trade negotiations, as ...

World

Inundated Philippine communities seek answers over flood control funds

• What happened: Communities in the northern Philippines are expressing frustration over ineffective flood control measures, despite having invested in them, as...

World

Palestinian teen shot and killed in West Bank attack, UN responds

• What happened: A 17-year-old Palestinian was shot and killed, and another person critically injured, during an attack by Israeli settlers in the occupied West...