World

Australia charges man for passing Ukrainian military intel to Russia

Al Jazeera · 2026-08-21

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: Australian police charged a dual Russian-Australian citizen for attempting to pass military information from the Ukrainian military to individuals he believed were linked to Russian intelligence. • Why it matters: The case highlights concerns over foreign interference in Australia and the potential risks to Ukrainian military personnel due to the sharing of sensitive information. • What to watch next: Further developments in the investigation may lead to additional arrests, and the response from Russian authorities regarding the charges against the suspect.

SaveSharefacebookxwhatsapp-strokecopylinkUkrainian servicemen of the 88th Separate Marine Battalion of the 35th Separate Marine Brigade attend military exercises at a training ground, amid Russia's war on Ukraine, in Dnipropetrovsk region, Ukraine, on February 24, 2025 [Valentyn Ogirenko/Reuters]By Al Jazeera Staff, AFP and ReutersPublished On 21 Aug 202621 Aug 2026Australian police have charged a dual Russian-Australian citizen for trying to pass Ukrainian military information to people he believed were linked to Russian intelligence.The 27-year-old man was due ⁠to appear in court in Brisbane on Friday on charges of foreign interference.Recommended Stories list of 3 itemslist 1 of 3Russia’s FSB orders British diplomat’s expulsion, UK rejects ‘intimidation’list 2 of 3Germany arrests Kazakhstan citizen accused of spying for Russialist 3 of 3EU sanctions nine people over alleged Russian cyber-spying campaignend of listAustralian Federal Police Commissioner Krissy Barrett told a news conference that the suspect travelled to Russia for training in October 2024. He then returned to Australia but “maintained contact” with individuals he believed were linked to Moscow’s intelligence services.The police allege the man enlisted in the Ukrainian military in May 2025, ‌where he “gained access to information relating to their military personnel, units and locations”.Barrett said he shared the information obtained in Ukraine with “individuals he believed were acting on behalf of Russian intelligence services”, putting the safety of Ukrainian military staff at risk.“We don’t want Australia to become a safe haven for people who are undertaking foreign interference on behalf of other countries,” the commissioner said.The identity of the suspect, who is unemployed, has not been revealed. Police said there was no indication he had received military training in Australia. Search warrants have been executed, they added, noting the possibility of further arrests related to the case.Australian Federal Police and the Australian Security Intelligence Organisation spy agency conducted the investigation.“This case should put regimes perpetrating foreign interference on notice: we have zero tolerance,” ASIO Deputy Director-General Claire McGuinness said.Russia’s embassy in Australia said it had no knowledge of the case.“At this stage, no official requests or notifications have been received by the Embassy or the Consulate General in Sydney, either from the Australian authorities or from the individual concerned,” the embassy said in an email to the AFP news agency. “We are currently using the available channels and resources to establish the circumstances of the case.”Russia arrests Ukrainian operativesMeanwhile, Russian authorities have arrested nine people and charged them with working for Ukrainian intelligence, state media reported on Friday.The TASS media agency said eight of the suspects were found to have 35 drones, equipped with explosives smuggled from the European Union, and planned ‌to attack a strategic defence enterprise in the Moscow region.Separately, a foreign ⁠national was detained close to the Norwegian border. The FSB security service said that the man – whose nationality it did not reveal – had been arrested for trying to launch a surveillance drone over Moscow to help Ukrainian intelligence plot an attack on the Russian capital.The FSB said it had detained the individual as he was trying to flee to Norway on foot.

Source: Al Jazeera
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
World

Bodies of two hikers missing for decades found after Swiss glacier melts

• What happened: The bodies of two Belgian hikers missing since 1992 were discovered on the Trift Glacier in the Swiss Alps, exposed by melting ice. • Why it ...

World

Philippines floods fuel anger over alleged corruption

• What happened: Severe flooding in northern Philippines due to weeks of monsoon rains has led to widespread frustration among residents, who are questioning th...

World

Cyclist Josh Tarling to compete in Tour of Spain after brother’s death

• What happened: British cyclist Josh Tarling will compete in the Vuelta a España starting August 22, just over a week after the tragic death of his younger bro...

World

Latest news bulletin | August 21st, 2026 – Midday

• What happened: A news bulletin from Euronews highlights key stories from Europe and beyond, including the ongoing migrant crisis, a fuel shortage in Russia, a...

World

Eight killed in plane crash at remote Alaskan military site, air force says

• What happened: A plane crash at a remote U.S. Air Force site in Alaska resulted in the deaths of all eight individuals on board, including two pilots and six ...

World

Torrential rain floods New York City’s streets and subway

• What happened: Torrential rain caused flash flooding in New York City, inundating roads and subway platforms, leading to significant disruptions for commuters...