World

Ben-Gvir calls for killing of '30 to 40' Palestinians in Gaza nightly in taped interview with former hostage

Euronews World · 2026-08-17

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: Itamar Ben-Gvir, Israel's far-right national security minister, called for the nightly killing of "30 to 40" Palestinians in Gaza during a podcast interview, advocating for mass emigration from the territory, which he claims is entirely Israeli. • Why it matters: Ben-Gvir's comments have drawn international condemnation and are seen as indicative of rising extremist ideologies within Israeli politics, particularly in the context of the upcoming elections and ongoing violence in Gaza. • What to watch next: Monitor the reactions from Israeli political leaders and international bodies, as well as any potential shifts in military policy or public sentiment leading up to the Israeli elections scheduled for October 27.

By Malek Fouda Published on 17/08/2026 - 6:42 GMT+2 Share Comments Add Euronews on Google Share Facebook Twitter Flipboard Send Reddit Linkedin Messenger Telegram VK Bluesky Threads Whatsapp In a taped interview, the far-right national security minister also advocated for encouraging the mass emigration of the Gaza Strip, saying he views the territory as entirely Israeli. An extremist Israeli lawmaker in Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's coalition publicly advocated for killing “30 to 40” people in Gaza each night, comments that surfaced on Sunday, and were quickly shared by media outlets around the world. ADVERTISEMENT ADVERTISEMENT Minister of National Security Itamar Ben-Gvir made the statement while speaking to a former Gaza-held hostage, Rom Braslavski, on his podcast. The pair were discussing Israel's recovery from Hamas’ 7 October attack, when Ben-Gvir criticised Israel's recent drawdown of strikes in Gaza. “It’s no secret, I disagree with the prime minister," he said. “I think targeted assassinations should be carried out in Gaza, taking down 30 to 40 every night,” said the far-right Israeli lawmaker. “Not just those who pose an immediate threat, there are people there who are not worthy of life. They shouldn’t live. They’re not even people,” added Ben-Gvir. FILE - Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Israel's National Security Minister Itamar Ben-Gvir smile in the Knesset, Israel's parliament in Jerusalem, May 23, 2023 Ohad Zwigenberg/Copyright 2023 The AP. All rights reserved. In the past, similar statements by Ben-Gvir and other Israeli officials were widely condemned. Many have been presented to the UN’s world court as evidence of genocidal intent. Israel denies it has committed genocide in Gaza in its military offensive which has killed more than 100,000 Palestinians in Gaza across two years, according to medical sources. Local Israeli media has made scarce mention of the statement, highlighting how once-fringe ideologies like Ben-Gvir’s are surging in the leadup to Israeli election, scheduled for 27 October. Figures like Ben-Gvir have become more popular among Israelis since the Hamas offensive due to his hardline rhetoric advocating for more suppression of the group and greater control over Gaza. The extremist minister, who has been banned in more than 10 countries, including France, Belgium, Spain, the UK, Canada and Australia, does not have power over the country’s military and cannot order strikes on Gaza. FILE -Far-right Israeli lawmakers Itamar Ben Gvir and Bezalel Smotrich attend the swearing-in ceremony for Israel's parliament, at the Knesset, in Jerusalem, Nov. 15, 2022 Maya Alleruzzo/Copyright 2022 The AP. All rights reserved. But, after operating for decades within Israel's far-right fringe, he is now one of the most influential people in the country. He has substantial control over key parts of Israel’s security apparatus, running the country’s prisons — where thousands of Palestinians from Gaza and the occupied West Bank are incarcerated — as well as the national police force. He has previously boasted of lessening food rations for Palestinian prisoners. Israel’s top court ruled in 2025 that the prison service under Ben-Gvir was depriving Palestinians of a minimum subsistence diet. Until recently, Israel was striking Gaza nearly every day, attacks that have killed over 1,250 people since an October truce deal came into effect, according to Gaza’s Health Ministry. Israel's military, which says the strikes have targeted Hamas militants, appeared to ease off on the attacks in a quiet concession to US President Donald Trump after Netanyahu rejected the president’s latest attempt to move the truce forward. FILE - Israeli far-right lawmaker Itamar Ben-Gvir gestures after election exit poll results are released at his party's headquarters in Jerusalem on Nov. 2, 2022 Oren Ziv/Copyright 2022 The AP. All rights reserved Israeli media last week reported that the authority for carrying out strikes has now been limited to the army’s chief of staff, raising the ire of right-wing lawmakers such as Ben-Gvir. In the same taped appearance, the lawmaker advocated for mass emigration of Palestinians from Gaza — a proposal that international lawyers say could amount to ethnic cleansing — and resettlement of Gaza by Israel. Twenty years ago, Israel withdrew from the Gaza Strip, dismantling a block of 21 Jewish settlements known as “Gush Katif” and pulling out its forces. “I see all of Gaza as ours,” said Ben-Gvir in the interview. “Settlements not just in Gush Katif but throughout Gaza, encouraging as much emigration as possible, sending them to their countries, and for the terrorists, no emigration, nothing, just to kill them one by one,” he added. Go to accessibility shortcuts Share Comments Add Euronews on Google Read more Netanyahu rejects Gaza withdrawal until Hamas disarms Peace activists rally to protect Palestinians during Jerusalem flag march Israel approves death penalty for Palestinians convicted of deadly attacks palestinians The Gaza Strip Hamas Israel Israel Hamas war Itamar Ben-Gvir

Source: Euronews World
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
World

Ukrainian strikes kill six in Russia, acting governor says

• What happened: Six people were killed and four injured in Ukrainian missile strikes on Russia's Belgorod region, according to the acting governor. • Wh...

World

At least six dead in ‘stampede-like’ incident at India temple

• What happened: At least six people died and several were injured in a "stampede-like" incident at the Ashok Dham temple in Lakhisarai, Bihar, trigge...

World

Thousands in Indonesia await aid after quake kills 53, overshadowing Independence Day

• What happened: A powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck eastern Indonesia, killing 53 people and injuring over 100, displacing approximately 12,800 resident...

World

Iran’s top negotiator declares victory in war against the US and Israel

• What happened: Iran's top negotiator, Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf, declared a military and political victory over the US and Israel coinciding with the expira...

World

Latest news bulletin | August 17th, 2026 – Morning

• What happened: A series of significant news events were reported, including wildfires devastating Europe, a powerful earthquake in Indonesia, and Ukraine'...

World

Lawyer says Israel’s targeting of Palestinian women is a form of genocide

• What happened: Palestinian lawyer Ahmad Ibsais has claimed that Israel's targeting of Palestinian women during the ongoing conflict in Gaza constitutes g...