World

Congo Ebola outbreak ‘global emergency’ as infections pass 5,000: WHO

Al Jazeera · 2026-08-18

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: The World Health Organization (WHO) has declared the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) a global health emergency, with over 5,000 cases reported and more than 2,320 deaths, marking it as the deadliest outbreak in the country's history. • Why it matters: The outbreak is exacerbated by the absence of an approved vaccine or treatment for the current strain, Bundibugyo, and is complicated by ongoing conflict, misinformation, and cultural factors that hinder response efforts. • What to watch next: WHO is focusing on engaging motorbike riders in response efforts, and the first volunteer has received an experimental vaccine, with hundreds of thousands of doses ready for use pending trial results.

SaveSharefacebookxwhatsapp-strokecopylinkThe outbreak is now rated as the DRC's deadliest, with more than 2,320 people having died [File: AFP]By Al Jazeera Staff, AFP and ReutersPublished On 18 Aug 202618 Aug 2026The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) remains a global health emergency, the World Health Organization (WHO) has warned as it announced that the number of cases in the country has passed 5,000.Following an emergency meeting on Tuesday, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus called on the international community to assist in efforts to contain the outbreak, which has killed more than 2,320 people.Recommended Stories list of 3 itemslist 1 of 3DR Congo Ebola outbreak spreads to a sixth provincelist 2 of 3Why is the latest Ebola outbreak worsening?list 3 of 3Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in country’s historyend of list“We must be frank: the epidemic is far from being under control,” Tedros told the emergency meeting. “It had a big head start, and we are still playing catch-up.”The outbreak is the seventeenth in the DRC and is now the deadliest, exceeding the number of people killed during the outbreak from 2018 to 2020.The emergency has caused more concern than usual for several reasons, including the fact that there is currently no approved vaccine or treatment for this strain of Ebola, known as Bundibugyo.Response efforts have been further complicated by conflict in the mineral-rich DRC, misinformation, distrust of health workers and cultural traditions, among other factors. Tedros warned on Tuesday that the outbreak was spreading at an “unprecedented speed,” and that the locations of many of the deaths show that there are chains of transmission yet to be identified.The epidemic will continue until every chain was found and broken, he warned.WHO medic Thierno Balde told reporters that motorbike riders are now a core focus of response efforts, as the organisation makes a major push to increase community engagement in tackling the disease.The riders are among those worst affected by the illness because of their transport duties, including delivering patients and dead bodies.“Hand-washing stations and disinfectant have been made available, but the new objective is to recruit them as surveillance and response officers,” Dr Balde added.The outbreak was declared on May 17, but genetic sequencing of samples shows that it began spreading three months earlier, in February.The first volunteer to receive an experimental vaccine for this strain of Ebola received his jab in the UK last month. Hundreds of thousands of doses of the vaccine, produced by scientists at Oxford University, have already been manufactured in India and are ready for immediate use if the trials are successful.

Source: Al Jazeera
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
World

Bolivia arrests political adviser to Latin American right-wingers

• What happened: Bolivia arrested political adviser Fernando Cerimedo on suspicion of plotting a murder, following an attack on lawyer and activist Nadia Beller...

World

Trump administration moves to end rule protecting swaths of forest land

• What happened: The USDA proposed to rescind the 2001 Roadless Area Conservation Rule, which protects nearly 45 million acres of national forest land from road...

World

Why is the US ramping up Tomahawk production?

• What happened: The Pentagon has contracted Raytheon to significantly increase the production of Tomahawk cruise missiles amid concerns about the U.S. munition...

World

Syria opens Assad-era nuclear programme to UN probe

• What happened: Syria has agreed to allow the United Nations to investigate remnants of a nuclear programme previously operated under ousted leader Bashar al-A...

World

Trump says no talks planned with Iran amid anger over Iran-Oman Hormuz deal

• What happened: President Trump stated that the U.S. is not engaged in talks with Iran, contradicting his earlier claim of back-channel conversations, while em...

World

Israeli strike reported to kill at least six in Gaza City

• What happened: An Israeli airstrike in Gaza City killed at least six people and injured fourteen others, targeting a crowded cafe in a displacement camp amid ...