News

‘Cyprus will not tolerate abuse of foreign workers’, says labour minister

Cyprus Mail · 2026-08-19

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: Cyprus Labour Minister Marinos Mousiouttas announced plans for inspections into allegations that hotels are using temporary agency workers to bypass employment protections, following complaints from trade unions SEK and PEO. • Why it matters: The issue highlights concerns over the treatment of foreign workers in Cyprus, particularly in the hospitality sector, where nearly 40% of the workforce is foreign nationals, raising questions about exploitation and adherence to collective agreements. • What to watch next: The Labour Ministry is expected to investigate the claims and take action if violations are confirmed, while unions may consider further actions in September if adequate measures to protect workers' rights are not implemented.

**Title: Cyprus Will Not Tolerate Abuse of Foreign Workers, Says Labour Minister**

In a strong statement on Wednesday, Labour Minister Marinos Mousiouttas emphasized that Cyprus is not a "slave market" and announced plans for inspections in response to allegations that hotels are using temporary agency workers to circumvent employment protections. The minister's remarks follow complaints from trade unions SEK and PEO regarding the employment practices of hotels that allegedly source third country workers through agencies rather than hiring them directly.

Mousiouttas stated that the Ministry of Labour, in collaboration with the labour department, would thoroughly investigate these claims. He highlighted the importance of respecting workers' rights, regardless of their nationality, race, religion, or gender, and expressed a commitment to reducing, if not eliminating, such exploitative practices.

The unions have raised concerns that hotels are increasingly relying on agency workers, which allows them to sidestep collective agreements that govern employment conditions in the hospitality sector. SEK's secretary general, Michalis Frangou, noted that some hotels are acquiring workers from agencies that originally recruited them for different industries. This practice creates a disparity among employees, often referred to as "two-speed employees," and enables employers to avoid fulfilling their obligations under collective agreements.

PEO's hotel workers’ secretary general, Neophytos Timinis, added that workers supplied through these intermediaries are often paid hourly wages without the benefits and protections outlined in collective agreements. He pointed out that this situation affects various positions within hotels, including housekeeping, cleaning, and roles in kitchens, bars, and restaurants.

The unions have called for targeted inspections of both the agencies supplying workers and the hotels employing them, advocating for sanctions against those found in violation of employment laws. Timinis indicated that this issue is widespread, particularly in popular tourist areas such as Ayia Napa and Paphos, and is not limited to isolated incidents.

In light of these allegations, Mousiouttas mentioned that his ministry had received the unions' letter a few days prior and is currently awaiting further information from the labour department before determining the next steps. He encouraged individuals with knowledge of specific cases to report them to the authorities.

The concerns raised come amid broader issues regarding the treatment of foreign workers in Cyprus, particularly in the hospitality sector, where foreign nationals make up nearly 40% of the workforce. A conference earlier this year on human trafficking in the hospitality industry highlighted the vulnerability of workers to exploitation, especially when they rely on employers or intermediaries for their employment and residency status.

The Labour Ministry conducts approximately 8,000 inspections annually and allows for anonymous reporting of complaints related to exploitation and illegal employment. Mousiouttas assured that the ministry would investigate the allegations and take appropriate action if violations are confirmed.

As the situation develops, the unions have indicated that they may consider further actions in September if they do not see adequate measures being implemented to protect workers' rights. The ongoing dialogue between the Labour Ministry and the unions underscores the critical need for safeguarding the rights of all workers in Cyprus, particularly those from foreign backgrounds who may be more susceptible to exploitation.

Source: Cyprus Mail
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
News

New Ukrainian defence minister takes office as ousted predecessor calls for wartime elections

• What happened: Ukraine appointed Yevhenii Khmara as the new defence minister following the ousting of Mykhailo Fedorov, who called for wartime elections, spar...

News

Overnight pharmacies on Wednesday, August 19

• What happened: Several pharmacies across Cyprus will operate overnight on August 19, 2026, providing essential health services to residents and visitors. • ...

News

Russia and Ukraine swap 103 prisoners of war each

• What happened: Russia and Ukraine exchanged 103 prisoners of war each, with Ukrainian officials indicating another swap may occur by the end of the month. •...

News

Ukraine’s anti-corruption agencies launch probe ahead of key defence minister vote

• What happened: Ukraine's anti-corruption agencies launched a special operation against lawmakers and presidential advisers just hours before a crucial pa...

News

Turkish opposition furious over Greek Cypriot invite to Istanbul geography Olympiad

• What happened: Ayyuce Turkes Tas, a high-ranking Turkish opposition politician, expressed outrage over the invitation of a Greek Cypriot delegation to the Int...

News

Cyprus says it raised precautionary measures, after FT report over possible Iranian attacks

• What happened: Cyprus has heightened its precautionary security measures in response to a Financial Times report suggesting potential Iranian attacks, particu...