World

'I was born in South Africa', says beauty queen facing legal bid to deport her

BBC World · 2026-08-19

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: Beauty queen Chidimma Adetshina, facing deportation from South Africa, claims she was born in the country and has been unfairly targeted by authorities after her citizenship was questioned during the 2024 Miss South Africa contest. Her legal case has been postponed until February 2027. • Why it matters: Adetshina's situation highlights ongoing issues of citizenship and identity in South Africa, particularly concerning individuals with foreign parentage, and raises concerns about xenophobia and the treatment of migrants in the country. • What to watch next: The outcome of Adetshina's legal challenge regarding her citizenship status and the broader implications for immigration policies in South Africa, especially in light of rising anti-migrant sentiments.

Image source, AFP via Getty ImagesImage caption, The beauty queen was stripped of her South African identity documents in 2024ByKhanyisile NgcoboReporting fromJohannesburgPublished46 minutes agoBeauty queen Chidimma Adetshina, who is facing deportation from South Africa, has reiterated that she was born in the country and believes she has been "treated unfairly and targeted".South African officials want her detained as they pursue her deportation after she was declared a prohibited person in 2024.Adetshina, 25, whose mother has Mozambican roots and her father is Nigerian, was stripped of her identity documents after questions around her citizenship were raised when she took part in the 2024 Miss South Africa contest. She then left the country.She was arrested in June this year - and later released on warning - after being accused of re-entering South Africa unlawfully.On Wednesday, the government's legal case seeking her detention was postponed until next year.Speaking after a hearing in Cape Town, Adetshina said "there has been an attempt" by the South African authorities to make an example of her with this case."I remind everyone that I was born in South Africa. I have applied through the proper legal channels to have my status and citizenship determined," she said.The pageant contestant added that "we should not allow xenophobia and misinformation to determine how people are going to be treated", seemingly a shot to protesters who had gathered outside the court calling for her deportation. The protest was led by anti-migrant group March and March, which has been at the forefront of calls for undocumented migrants to leave South Africa, and many chased after her car as she left the courthouse.South Africa to strip beauty queen of ID documentsPublished30 October 2024Beauty contest sparks row over who counts as South AfricanPublished3 August 2024Adetshina, a law student at the time, left South Africa in 2024 and went on to win Miss Universe Nigeria after she was invited to participate by the organisers.In court, South Africa's home affairs department argued that she applied for a South African visa while she was in Nigeria and Nigerian passports for her and her son therefore implying that she was not a South African citizen, according to reports in the News24 site. Officials then said she returned to South Africa illegally via a Mozambican border post.Adetshina has previously argued that her home was in South Africa.Her case was postponed to February 2027 to allow for the finalisation of her review challenging home affairs' decision to deport her. She remains a free woman until this has been completed.Adetshina was stripped of her South African identity and travel documents in 2024 following allegations that her mother, Anabela Rungo, had committed identity fraud to gain South African nationality.Being born in South Africa does not automatically grant citizenship to that person. One of the parents has to either be a citizen themselves or a permanent resident in order for that to happen.Rungo had her South African citizenship revoked in 2025.The investigation into Adetshina's status came after she became a finalist in the Miss South Africa pageant. She faced criticism as people questioned her eligibility to compete given her mother's ties to Mozambique and her father being a Nigerian citizen. She later withdrew from the pageant when these issues came to light.In interviews Adetshina said she was born in Soweto - the South African township next to Johannesburg - and grew up in Cape Town.You may also be interested in:Thousands of anti-migrant protesters march in South Africa amid heavy police presencePublished30 June'They came with machetes' - deadline looms for migrants to leave South AfricaPublished17 JuneNigeria date removed from South African pop star Tyla's world tour after boycott petitionPublished31 JulyGo to BBCAfrica.com, external for more news from the African continent.Follow us on Twitter @BBCAfrica, external, on Facebook at BBC Africa, external or on Instagram at bbcafrica, externalRelated topicsAfricaSouth AfricaBBC Africa podcastsFocus on AfricaThis Is Africa

Source: BBC World
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
World

Two detained after French influencer's scorched body found in vineyard

• What happened: Two men have been detained in connection with the discovery of the burned body of social media influencer Sonia Bellina in a vineyard in southe...

World

Latest news bulletin | August 19th, 2026 – Evening

• What happened: A news bulletin from Euronews on August 19, 2026, highlights significant stories from Europe and beyond, including various world affairs, busin...

World

Israel opens up tenders for controversial West Bank settlement project

• What happened: Israel has opened tenders for the construction of approximately 1,200 settlement homes in the E1 area of the occupied West Bank, a move that ha...

World

India rout Pakistan at Hockey World Cup 2026 to qualify for second round

• What happened: India defeated Pakistan 5-3 in a crucial match at the Hockey World Cup 2026, securing their advancement to the second round. • Why it matters...

World

Seven decades of US regime change efforts: What have they achieved?

• What happened: The ongoing conflict between the US and Iran has escalated following US and Israeli strikes on Iran, claiming Tehran was close to acquiring nuc...

World

Israel admits firing on car carrying Hind Rajab, symbol of Gaza’s suffering

• What happened: Israel's military announced a criminal investigation into the death of five-year-old Hind Rajab, who was killed by Israeli fire in January...