News

Irishman accused of secretly filming man in Larnaca airport toilet

Cyprus Mail · 2026-08-19

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: A 51-year-old man from Northern Ireland, Andrew George Tinsley, appeared in the High Court of Northern Ireland facing accusations of secretly filming another man in a toilet at Larnaca Airport during a family holiday in Cyprus. • Why it matters: Tinsley has a history of voyeurism and prior convictions for similar offenses, raising concerns about his behavior and the implications of prosecuting crimes committed abroad, as he cannot be charged for the act of voyeurism itself in Northern Ireland. • What to watch next: The case will continue as Tinsley remains in custody, with legal proceedings focusing on the breach of a sexual offences prevention order and the potential for future behavior related to voyeurism.

**Irishman Accused of Secretly Filming in Larnaca Airport Toilet Appears in Court**

A 51-year-old man from Northern Ireland has been accused of secretly filming another man in a toilet at Larnaca Airport while returning from a family holiday in Cyprus. Andrew George Tinsley, a resident of Dromore, County Down, appeared before the High Court of Northern Ireland on Wednesday to face these allegations.

The court was informed that Tinsley has a history of voyeurism, having previously been convicted for secretly recording men and boys in public restrooms. Additionally, he has been found guilty of possessing indecent images of children. These prior convictions have raised significant concerns regarding his behavior.

According to the allegations presented in court, Tinsley used a mobile phone to film an unsuspecting man in an adjacent cubicle by raising the device above the toilet partition. The incident reportedly occurred during his trip to Cyprus, which complicates the legal proceedings, as he cannot be prosecuted for the act of voyeurism itself in Northern Ireland due to the location of the alleged crime.

However, Tinsley is facing charges for breaching a sexual offences prevention order that remains in effect until 2030. This order specifically prohibits him from deleting any photographs or videos stored on his mobile phone. During a police examination of his phone on July 28, authorities discovered 83 images and two videos in the device's recycling bin. Notably, Tinsley appeared at the end of one of the videos found.

In court, Tinsley reportedly admitted to deleting the material and acknowledged his ongoing struggle with voyeurism, expressing that he attempts to control his impulses. Despite his statements, the court expressed concerns about the potential for him to repeat such behavior, leading to the rejection of his bail application.

The case highlights ongoing issues related to voyeurism and the legal complexities surrounding crimes committed in foreign jurisdictions. As the legal proceedings continue, Tinsley remains in custody, awaiting further developments in the case.

Source: Cyprus Mail
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
News

Israel opens criminal probes over killing of 5-year-old girl

• What happened: Israel's military announced it will open internal investigations into the killings of a 5-year-old Palestinian girl and 15 aid workers in ...

News

Turkey is ready to search for oil and gas in Syria, minister says

• What happened: Turkey announced its readiness to collaborate with Syria in searching for oil and gas, with plans for seismic surveys and exploration drilling ...

News

Israeli airstrike kills nine Palestinians

• What happened: An Israeli airstrike on Wednesday killed nine Palestinians, including several police officers, at a police station in Gaza, just two days after...

News

Trump says he plans to meet with North Korea’s Kim this year

• What happened: US President Donald Trump announced plans to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un later this year, following his directive to scale back j...

News

Organisers withdraw from planned Kyrenia Castle music festival

• What happened: The Serbian music company EXIT has withdrawn from the Nexus electronic music festival scheduled for September 18 at Kyrenia Castle due to diplo...

News

Turkish Cypriots, Turkey sign ‘additional’ fibreoptic internet deal

• What happened: The Turkish government and Turkish Cypriot authorities signed an "additional protocol" to enhance a controversial fibreoptic internet...