Russia

Israel unleashes new strikes on southern Lebanon (VIDEOS)

RT English · 2026-08-21

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: Israeli warplanes conducted new airstrikes on southern Lebanon, targeting the town of Kfar Rumman and the Ali al-Taher Heights, despite a US-brokered truce framework aimed at reducing hostilities between Israel and Hezbollah. • Why it matters: The strikes highlight the ongoing tensions and instability in the region, particularly the stalled peace efforts and the potential for escalation in the conflict, which has already seen significant casualties and destruction. • What to watch next: Monitor developments regarding the US-brokered framework for peace, responses from Hezbollah and the Lebanese government, and any further military actions from Israel in the region.

Israeli warplanes carried out a new wave of strikes around Nabatieh, a major city and administrative hub in southern Lebanon, early on Friday, with footage showing powerful explosions lighting up the night sky.

The attacks come despite a US-brokered framework agreed in June aimed at ending fighting between Israel and Hezbollah, the Iran-backed Lebanese armed group. The deal envisages a progressive Israeli withdrawal alongside Lebanese Army deployments and Hezbollah’s disarmament but has stalled over which should come first.

🚨🇱🇧 🇮🇱 Israeli airstrikes are hitting Kfar Rumman alongside the Ali al-Taher Heights-Both targets sit in the same corridor just outside Nabatieh in southern Lebanon-Israel struck the ridge yesterday with airstrikes and heavy mortar fire, and again on Saturday-Ali al-Taher…

Reports from Lebanon: Israeli airstrikes are pounding the Ali al Taher hills pic.twitter.com/au05A7rAKW

The overnight strikes targeted the town of Kfar Rumman on the outskirts of Nabatieh and the nearby Ali al-Taher Heights, according to Lebanese media. Israeli artillery also struck several other locations across the south.

Watch the moment Israeli fighter jets strike the town of Kfar Roummane in southern Lebanon.Follow Press TV on Telegram: https://t.co/kG3YhfM6ROpic.twitter.com/pQRMubK7ir

The Ali al-Taher Heights, which overlook the Nabatieh region and roads leading into the city, have emerged as a focal point of Israel’s military campaign. The Israeli military claims Hezbollah maintains underground infrastructure in the area and has repeatedly targeted the heights in recent weeks.

The latest bombardment comes less than a week after one of the deadliest Israeli attacks in Lebanon since fighting subsided under a June truce. Eleven people were killed in attacks in the south on August 15, according to Lebanese officials. Israel said it was targeting Hezbollah infrastructure.

The attacks come five months after an RT crew was nearly killed while reporting on Israeli operations in the same broader region of southern Lebanon.

RT correspondent Steve Sweeney recently returned with DD Geopolitics reporter Christopher Helali to the damaged Qasmiyeh Bridge over the Litani River, where he and cameraman Ali Rida Sbeity were wounded in an Israeli airstrike on March 19. Sweeney shared a first-hand account of the strike as he returned to the scene.

The conflict in Lebanon is closely tied to Israel’s confrontation with Iran. Hezbollah, Tehran’s longtime ally, resumed attacks on Israel in March following the killing of Iran’s supreme leader, prompting a major Israeli air and ground campaign. Fighting subsided following the Israel-Lebanon truce in June, but Israeli strikes have continued.

Lebanon has condemned the attacks and demanded that Israel withdraw from its territory. Prime Minister Nawaf Salam called last week’s deadly strikes “extremely dangerous” and said any Hezbollah military infrastructure on Lebanese soil should be dealt with by the Lebanese state, not Israel.

© Autonomous Nonprofit Organization “TV-Novosti”, 2005–2026. All rights reserved.

This website uses cookies. Read RT Privacy policy to find out more.

Source: RT English
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
Russia

Witkoff, Kushner do not confirm visit to Kiev — agency

• What happened: US President Donald Trump's special envoy Steven Witkoff and son-in-law Jared Kushner have not confirmed their planned visit to Kiev for U...

Russia

Ukrainian drone attack in Zaporozhye Region claims life of ambulance paramedic

• What happened: Ukrainian drone attack in the Zaporozhye Region resulted in the death of ambulance paramedic Angela Vaylo, who was killed at her home after com...

Russia

World Triathlon allows Russian athletes to fully compete

• What happened: The World Triathlon Executive Board has permitted Russian athletes to compete under their national flag and anthem, a decision welcomed by Russ...

Russia

Ministry to showcase exhibition marking anniversary of Carl Faberge at forum in Moscow

• What happened: Russia's Finance Ministry will present an exhibition titled "The New Faberge" at the Moscow Financial Forum on September 21, cel...

Russia

Russia’s Fefelova, Valov take ISU Junior Grand Prix lead in China

• What happened: Russian figure skaters Maria Fefelova and Artyom Valov won the gold medal at the ISU Junior Grand Prix in Xi’an, China, scoring 162.16 points. ...

Russia

Israel warns Türkiye over ‘dangerous adventures’ in Syria

• What happened: Israel issued a warning to Türkiye regarding its military activities in Syria, following an airstrike on the Abu al-Duhur airbase, which Israel...