World

Israeli army, settlers kill 2 Palestinians in separate West Bank incidents

Al Jazeera · 2026-08-21

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: Two Palestinians, a 17-year-old teenager and a 58-year-old former colonel, were shot and killed in separate incidents involving Israeli settlers and soldiers in the West Bank. The incidents occurred amid escalating violence and the expansion of illegal settlements. • Why it matters: The killings highlight the ongoing tensions and violence in the region, exacerbated by Israeli military actions and settler attacks, which have led to forced displacement of Palestinian communities. Human Rights Watch reported that such violence has displaced 107 Palestinian communities since January 2023. • What to watch next: International reactions to Israel's plans for new illegal settlements under the E1 project, which have drawn widespread condemnation, and the potential for further escalation of violence in the West Bank as tensions continue to rise.

SaveSharefacebookxwhatsapp-strokecopylinkRelatives of Karim Sanad Shalaldeh, 17, mourn after he is fatally shot by Israeli settlers [Mahmoud Illean/AP]By Al Jazeera StaffPublished On 21 Aug 202621 Aug 2026A Palestinian teenager in Hebron and a former colonel in Jenin have been shot and killed in separate incidents involving Israeli settlers and soldiers, as escalating attacks and the rapid expansion of illegal settlements drive a wave of forced displacement in the occupied West Bank.The Palestinian Ministry of Health said on Friday that 17-year-old Karim Sanad Shalaldeh was fatally shot in an Israeli settler attack in Khirbet Hamroush.Recommended Stories list of 3 itemslist 1 of 3Gaza holds mass funeral for 50 Palestinians killed in Israeli genocidal warlist 2 of 3Daily struggle for clean water and food takes a physical toll on Gaza kidslist 3 of 3Jewish-American barred by Israel calls settler violence ‘state terror’end of listShalaldeh sustained a gunshot wound to the chest and was reported to be in critical condition before he was announced dead. A 70-year-old man was also shot and injured during the attack.Local sources told the Palestinian news agency, Wafa, that large groups of armed Israeli settlers raided the Khirbet Hamroush area, opening fire at residents and setting Palestinian homes on fire.In a separate incident on Friday morning, the Palestinian General Authority for Civil Affairs informed the Health Ministry that 58-year-old Fathi Khazem was fatally shot by Israeli forces in Jenin. The Israeli military was raiding the home of retired colonel in the Palestinian National Security Forces when the shooting occurred.The Israeli army claimed Khazem attempted to stab Israeli troops during a military operation before the soldiers opened fire and killed him.The Palestinian Health Ministry said the Israeli army did not release the body to the victim’s family for burial, and Wafa reported that Israeli forces prevented emergency services from reaching the house after the shooting.Earlier, the Palestinian Red Crescent Society said its crews treated a 14-year-old boy who was shot with live ammunition in the chest and back during an Israeli raid near Jenin. The boy was transferred to a hospital, it added.The Israeli military also arrested six people during a separate raid on the city on Friday. The ‘most immoral’ armyAmid new attacks and Israeli army raids across the occupied West Bank, in Qusra, south of Nablus, Israeli settlers continue to besiege three Palestinian homes for a 13th consecutive day under the protection of Israeli forces.Qusra Mayor Abdel Azim Wadi said Israeli forces and settlers were preventing families in the Ras al-Ain area from entering or leaving their homes, while one of the houses had been seized and turned into a military post. The area has also been declared a closed military zone.Wadi said the families were running short of food and medicine because Israeli forces were preventing supplies from reaching them, Wafa reported.Francesca Albanese, UN special rapporteur for the occupied Palestinian territory, called the Israeli military “the MOST IMMORAL ARMY” in a post on X.“In the West Bank, soldiers and settlers cut water pipes, while Qusra’s siege continues,” she wrote. “In Gaza the pulverization continues and so the massacres. Since the ceasefire Israel has killed 1,200+ people, including 300 children.”A report by Human Rights Watch on Thursday found state-backed Israeli settler violence fully or partially displaced 107 Palestinian communities in the occupied West Bank since January 2023.The US-based rights group said increased settler attacks, along with the rapid expansion of Israeli settlements that are illegal under international law, are driving a wave of forced displacement of Palestinians.Israeli plans to build a major new illegal settlement under the E1 settlement project, which would cleave the occupied West Bank in two, have provoked widespread condemnation from around the world.The United Kingdom, France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Canada and Norway on Thursday called Israel’s opening of construction tenders for more than 1,200 housing units under the project “unacceptable” and in violation of “the territorial contiguity of the Palestinian Territories”.“Not only will they take us further from peace, but they further undermine Israel’s international standing,” the statement said.

Source: Al Jazeera
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
World

Meghan in talks for role in Netflix series The Gentlemen, BBC understands

• What happened: Meghan Markle is in early talks to join the Netflix series The Gentlemen, marking her potential return to acting after her marriage to Prince H...

World

Two injured in stabbing attack at Canada Sikh temple

• What happened: Two individuals were injured in a stabbing attack at the Nanaksar Gurdwara, a Sikh temple in Edmonton, Canada, early on October 13, 2023, leadi...

World

Former Pakistan PM Imran Khan taken back to prison after hospital check-up

• What happened: Former Pakistan Prime Minister Imran Khan was returned to Adiala Jail after a court-ordered medical examination, with his relatives alleging he...

World

Russian double-tap drone strikes kill 14 in Ukrainian mall, officials say

• What happened: A Russian double-tap drone strike on a shopping centre in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine, resulted in at least 14 fatalities and 121 injuries, including 2...

World

Russian drone attack on busy shopping centre kills 14 in Ukraine

• What happened: A Russian drone attack on a shopping centre in Kryvyi Rih, Ukraine, resulted in at least 14 deaths and over 120 injuries, including 22 children...

World

Tupac murder accused told police in 2008 his nephew fired fatal shots

• What happened: Duane "Keffe D" Davis, accused of orchestrating Tupac Shakur's murder, testified in a 2008 police interview that he handed the g...