News

Israeli warns Turkey against ‘dangerous adventures’ in Syria; Syria says no Turkish build-up planned

In-Cyprus · 2026-08-20

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz warned Turkey against military actions in Syria, following an Israeli airstrike on a Syrian airbase that Turkey was allegedly planning to use. Syria's Foreign Minister denied any plans for a Turkish military presence at the base. • Why it matters: The escalating tensions between Israel and Turkey over military activities in Syria could destabilize the region further, especially given both countries' military involvement and the ongoing conflict dynamics in Syria. • What to watch next: Monitor developments regarding the communication channels established between Turkey and Israel, as well as any potential negotiations for de-escalation between Israel and Syria, which could impact regional security.

World erdoganIsraelSyriaTop Newsturkey Israeli warns Turkey against ‘dangerous adventures’ in Syria; Syria says no Turkish build-up planned 9240952792 932b232e4c B Relevant News South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear warheads, far above Trump’s figure 20 August 2026 Israeli warns Turkey against ‘dangerous adventures’ in Syria; Syria says no Turkish build-up planned 20 August 2026 Trump warns of economic consequences for any country that supports Iran 20 August 2026 newsroom 20 August 2026 FacebookXWhatsAppEmailPrintViber Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan was “dragging Turkey into dangerous adventures in Syria”, Israeli Defence Minister Israel Katz said on Thursday, following an attack on a Syrian airbase earlier this week. Israel struck the Abu al-Duhur airbase in Syria on Tuesday, warning Syria was on the verge of violating a “status quo agreed with Israel in security matters” by allowing Turkish troops to deploy at the airbase. Katz, in a post on X, said his country would not “allow any entity to threaten its security.” Syrian Foreign Minister Asaad al-Shaibani said he made clear to Israel there were no plans to set up a Turkish military base and that the site was being rehabilitated for use by the Syrian Air Force. “There was no intention to establish a Turkish base there, nor to establish a permanent Turkish military presence or deploy Turkish forces at the site,” Al-Shaibani said in an interview with Axios on Wednesday. The strikes on Tuesday follow worsening security tensions between Israel and Turkey and increasingly sharp rhetoric between the two countries over Syria, where both countries’ militaries are active. Turkey firmly rejected on Wednesday what it called “untenable allegations” by Israel regarding its military position in Syria after Israel said Syria ​was on the verge of permitting Turkish troops to deploy there. Turkey, which has NATO’s second-largest army and has emerged as one of Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa’s main allies, accuses Israel of trying to destabilise Syria and undermine its new administration, repeatedly calling for international pressure and measures on Israel to respect Syria’s territorial integrity. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel warned Syria ahead of the strike not to allow a Turkish presence at the base. “Our message was very clear. Don’t. I guess they didn’t quite understand the message,” Netanyahu said on Wednesday. Syria’s Al-Shaibani said Israel had no legitimate justification for the bombing. He added that Turkish military officers had visited the base as part of training and broader military cooperation. He denied any Turkish military build-up, saying the facility was largely empty and not yet operational. Last year, Turkey and Israel — also sharply at odds over the war in Gaza — established a line of communication to avoid any incidents in Syria. Tom Barrack, the U.S. special presidential envoy for Syria and Iraq, told Reuters after the strikes on Tuesday that Washington was working to establish a deconfliction mechanism among Israel, Turkey and Syria. Syria remained open to negotiations with Israel on de-escalation, Al-Shaibani said. The two sides had made significant progress toward a security agreement during a year of U.S.-mediated talks, but Israel later backed away from commitments and the agreement was not implemented, he added. Al-Shaibani said any future deal must address the security concerns of both sides and respect Syrian sovereignty, warning that continued Israeli military operations would increase regional instability. (Reuters) Subscribe to our Newsletter Latest News South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear warheads, far above Trump’s figure Trump warns of economic consequences for any country that supports Iran Cyprus ranks mid-tier on EU minimum wage when adjusted for purchasing power German paper says Greece-Cyprus-Israel cable project gaining new momentum Elephant deaths under investigation in Kenya’s Amboseli ecosystem On this day: Usain Bolt sets new world record in men’s 200m race in 2016 Agios Ioannis redevelopment begins in Larnaca after decade of delays Follow en.philenews on Google News and be the first to know all the news about Cyprus and the world.

Source: In-Cyprus
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
News

Man hospitalised as West Nile virus case confirmed in Cyprus

• What happened: An elderly man has been hospitalized in Cyprus after being confirmed as a case of West Nile virus, with no recent travel history reported. • ...

News

Cyprus investment firm buys more of its own shares

• What happened: Demetra Holdings Plc, a Cypriot investment firm, completed the repurchase of 3,475 shares at €1.45 each as part of its ongoing buyback program,...

News

The open crossing points perpetuating partition

• What happened: The article critiques the ongoing political strategies in Cyprus regarding the Cyprus problem, particularly the reliance on confidence-building...

News

Palace acclaims UAE ties and gifted desalination units

• What happened: Cyprus received mobile desalination units from the United Arab Emirates as a gift, aimed at enhancing the island's water production capabi...

News

Atlantic Insurance warns of lower profits in first half of 2026

• What happened: Atlantic Insurance Company Public Ltd issued a profit warning for the first half of 2026, indicating a decline in overall financial results com...

News

North Korea fires suspected ballistic missile, Japanese authorities say

• What happened: North Korea fired a suspected ballistic missile towards the sea, which was confirmed by Japan's government and South Korean military sourc...