World

Judge blocks Trump administration's attempt to scrap move to Biden-selected FBI headquarters

Euronews World · 2026-08-18

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: Judge blocks Trump administration's attempt to scrap move to Biden-selected FBI headquarters By Malek Fouda Published on 18/08/2026 - 6:47 GMT+2 Share Comments Add Euronews on Google Share Facebook Twitter Flipboard Send Reddit Linkedin Messenger Telegram VK Bluesky Threads Whatsapp Officials in the Trump administratio... • Why it matters: This update may be relevant for Cyprus residents, visitors, businesses or policymakers. • What to watch next: Follow CyprusDailyLife for updates.

By Malek Fouda Published on 18/08/2026 - 6:47 GMT+2 Share Comments Add Euronews on Google Share Facebook Twitter Flipboard Send Reddit Linkedin Messenger Telegram VK Bluesky Threads Whatsapp Officials in the Trump administration sought to scrap plans for relocation to a site approved under the Biden administration in favour of repurposing another building just blocks from the current FBI headquarters in the nation’s capital. A US judge on Monday blocked plans to move the FBI's headquarters to a federal office building in Washington, finding that President Donald Trump's administration illegally tossed out a previously approved plan to build a new facility nearby in Maryland. ADVERTISEMENT ADVERTISEMENT The ruling is the latest development in a years-long battle over where to house the main office for the nation's premier law enforcement agency. FILE - The Federal Bureau of Investigation headquarters is seen, March 21, 2026, in Washington Tom Brenner/Copyright 2026 The AP. All rights reserved. A site in Greenbelt, Maryland, was selected during former President Joe Biden's tenure, but Trump appointees sought to reverse that decision last year in favour of repurposing the Ronald Reagan Building, a federal office complex a few blocks from the FBI's existing headquarters. US District Judge Theodore D. Chuang, an appointee of President Barack Obama, ruled that the move was “not in accordance with law,” and blocked the Trump administration from moving the FBI to the Reagan building, renovating it for the FBI or repurposing funds. “This is not the first time courts have tried to undermine the administration in its goal to make government more cost-effective for American taxpayers,” the FBI said in a statement. FBI Director Kash Patel attends a news conference at the Department of Justice, Wednesday, August 5, 2026 in Washington Rod Lamkey/Copyright 2026 The AP. All rights reserved. “The court has chosen to impermissibly intervene for political reasons. This FBI is mission focused and will continue the best course of action to meet the needs of law enforcement.” The suit was brought by the state of Maryland and Prince George's County. “Maryland and Prince George’s County committed more than a decade of work to earn the FBI headquarters and pledged hundreds of millions of dollars," Maryland Attorney General Anthony Brown, a Democrat, said in a statement. “By blocking the Trump Administration’s unlawful attempt to move the FBI to the Reagan Building and divert the funds Congress set aside for this project, the Court has cleared the path back to Greenbelt.” The Ronald Reagan Building, middle, and other office buildings that make up the Federal Triangle complex, are seen from the Washington Monument, Tuesday, 9 Dec, 2025 Pablo Martinez Monsivais/Copyright 2025 The AP. All rights reserved. Maryland Governor Wes Moore, also a Democrat, said, "Now it is time to stop the games and get to work building the world-class FBI headquarters that our public servants deserve, where it belongs: in Prince George’s County, Maryland.” The FBI's current Pennsylvania Avenue headquarters, the J. Edgar Hoover Building, was dedicated in 1975. Proponents of moving the headquarters have said the brutalist-style building, where nets surround the facility to protect pedestrians from falling debris, has fallen into disrepair. The Maryland location was selected over nearby Virginia following an intense competition between the two states. Go to accessibility shortcuts Share Comments Add Euronews on Google Read more US Supreme Court again rejects Trump's request to overturn sex assault judgement Trump threatens to bomb Oman if it impedes US-Iran Strait of Hormuz talks South Korea says will 'coordinate closely' with US on joint drills after Trump announces drawdown Donald Trump Relocation FBI Joe Biden Washington United States

Source: Euronews World
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
World

Can Trump limit birthright citizenship? Legal experts are doubtful

• What happened: Can Trump limit birthright citizenship? Legal experts are doubtful Can Trump limit birthright citizenship? Legal experts are doubtful US Presid...

World

A hero’s welcome as Cameroon parades its first Women’s AFCON title

• What happened: A hero’s welcome as Cameroon parades its first Women’s AFCON title A hero’s welcome as Cameroon parades its first Women’s AFCON title Cameroon’...

World

Inside secret police warehouse as Germany targets small boats gangs

• What happened: Inside secret police warehouse as Germany targets small boats gangs Image caption, Thousands of life jackets, covered in plastic wrapping, were...

World

Latest news bulletin | August 18th, 2026 – Morning

• What happened: Latest news bulletin | August 18th, 2026 – Morning Top News Stories Today Video. Latest news bulletin | August 18th, 2026 – Morning Copy/paste ...

World

Zambia's Hakainde Hichilema wins re-election with 60% of vote, officials say

• What happened: Zambia's Hakainde Hichilema wins re-election with 60% of vote, officials say By Gavin Blackburn Published on 18/08/2026 - 7:00 GMT+2 Share...

World

IVF staff accused of misleading UK parents about sperm and egg donors in northern Cyprus

• What happened: IVF staff accused of misleading UK parents about sperm and egg donors in northern Cyprus Image caption, Dr Sevket Alpturk (l), Dr Firdevs Uguz ...