News

Migrants flown to Equatorial Guinea after resisting Liberia deportation under Trump deal, sources say

Cyprus Mail · 2026-08-21

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: Five migrants resisted deportation to Liberia and were instead flown to Equatorial Guinea, highlighting complications in the U.S. government's plan to deport individuals to third countries under a Trump-era agreement. • Why it matters: This incident underscores the challenges and criticisms surrounding U.S. deportation policies, particularly regarding the treatment of migrants who have legal protections against repatriation due to risks in their home countries. • What to watch next: Monitor developments regarding the conditions of the detained migrants in Equatorial Guinea and any potential responses from human rights organizations and the U.S. government regarding the deportation agreements.

Five people who the US attempted to deport to Liberia this week resisted getting off the plane and were instead transported to Equatorial Guinea, another African country to which the Trump administration is removing migrants it cannot legally send home, two sources familiar with the matter told Reuters. The incident represents an early snag in Washington’s plan to send up to 1,200 so-called third-country deportees to Liberia, one of the largest such deals it has struck in Africa despite criticism from immigrants’ rights advocates. Third-country deportees have, in most cases, obtained legal protection against repatriation after US immigration ​judges ruled they risked torture or other abuses in their home countries. Liberia announced on Tuesday that it had agreed to receive deportees and that the first group of 20 would arrive on Thursday. But a Liberian official, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the matter, told Reuters on Friday that only 15 deportees disembarked. At least five others – three Cuban men, one Brazilian man and one Cameroonian woman – refused to get off the plane in Liberia, according to three sources familiar with the incident, one of whom was a Honduran deportee on the flight. Authorities then told them they would be flown to the US, but the plane instead headed to Malabo, in Equatorial Guinea, where the five were forced to disembark against their will, two of the sources said. Liberia’s information ministry did not respond to a request for comment on Friday. The five deportees are now being held with more than 30 other migrants who the Trump administration had previously sent to Equatorial Guinea under a deal that, like others in Africa, has been denounced by human rights groups and advocates who say many of the deportees are ultimately repatriated. The State Department on Friday said it remained “unwavering in our commitment to end illegal and mass immigration and bolster America’s border security”. A spokesperson for the Department of Homeland Security said all the migrants “were deported to a safe third country”, adding, “If a judge finds an illegal alien has no right to be in this country, we are going to remove them. Period”. 40 DEPORTEES HELD IN EQUATORIAL GUINEA, SOURCES SAY The plane carrying the deportees arrived in Monrovia at 12.45pm (12.45pm GMT) on Thursday after taking off from Louisiana and stopping in Dakar, Senegal, according to the ICE Flight Monitor managed by Human Rights First. It then departed for Malabo arriving at 8.50pm (7.50pm GMT), according to the ICE Flight Monitor. There are now 40 deportees detained at a decommissioned hotel in Malabo, according to Ahmed Soliman, an Egyptian migrant who arrived there four months ago. Conditions at the hotel are grim, characterized by “inadequate medical care”, “severe psychological distress” and denial of legal assistance, according to a statement published last month by five rights groups, including Asian Americans Advancing Justice-Atlanta and EG Justice. “The Trump Administration is using these deportation agreements to shuffle people around to different countries like objects,” said Meredyth Yoon, litigation director for Asian Americans Advancing Justice-Atlanta. Equatorial Guinea’s government did not respond to a request for comment on Friday.

Source: Cyprus Mail
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
News

Arsenal sweep Coventry aside to start title defence with 3-0 win

• What happened: Arsenal began their Premier League title defence with a convincing 3-0 victory over newly-promoted Coventry City at the Emirates Stadium. • W...

News

Four-year-old dies after meningitis left him brain dead - Cyprus Mail

• What happened: A four-year-old boy in Cyprus has died after suffering from meningitis that resulted in severe brain damage. • Why it matters: This tragic ca...

News

Four-year-old dies after meningitis left him brain dead

• What happened: Four-year-old Marios died after suffering severe brain damage from meningitis, with his death announced by Kourion municipality, which canceled...

News

Somalia Reaffirms Position on Cyprus Dispute - Shabelle Media Network

• What happened: The government of Somalia has reaffirmed its position on the long-standing Cyprus dispute, emphasizing support for sovereignty and peaceful res...

News

Supreme Court lets Trump continue work on White House ballroom for now

• What happened: The US Supreme Court granted President Trump's administration a temporary stay, allowing construction of the White House ballroom project ...

News

Guyana’s Birkett emerges as leader in informal poll for next UN chief

• What happened: An informal poll among UN Security Council members has placed Guyana’s Carolyn Rodrigues Birkett as the leading candidate for the next UN Secre...