World

Minnesota official sues Texas governor to force ICE agent’s extradition

Al Jazeera · 2026-08-18

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison has filed a lawsuit against Texas Governor Greg Abbott to compel the extradition of ICE agent Christian Castro, who is charged with shooting a man during an immigration enforcement operation in Minneapolis. • Why it matters: The case highlights ongoing national debates about transparency and the use of excessive force by immigration officials during enforcement actions, particularly during the Trump administration's crackdown on immigration. • What to watch next: The outcome of the lawsuit could determine whether Castro faces trial in Minnesota or is released from custody, as Texas law allows for his potential release if extradition is not granted within 90 days of his detention.

SaveSharefacebookxwhatsapp-strokecopylinkMinnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison answers questions during a 2020 news conference in St Paul, Minnesota [File: John Autey/Pioneer Press/AP]By Evan Semones and The Associated PressPublished On 18 Aug 202618 Aug 2026Minnesota’s attorney general is suing the governor of Texas to force the extradition of a federal agent charged with shooting and wounding a man during President Donald Trump’s immigration crackdown in Minneapolis.In a lawsuit filed on Tuesday, Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison argued that Texas Governor Greg Abbott has refused to fulfil his “mandatory” obligation to transfer Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agent Christian Castro, so that he may stand trial.Recommended Stories list of 4 itemslist 1 of 4Former senior ICE official says rush for numbers is causing deathslist 2 of 4ICE extends lease on Texas detention centre where three migrants diedlist 3 of 4Most Americans say Trump has gone too far on US immigration: Polllist 4 of 4US plans to equip ICE officers with electric-shock glovesend of list“Governor Abbott has withheld the warrant and held up Castro’s extradition for nearly three months,” Ellison told reporters on Tuesday. “He has no discretion to decline to do so.”Ellison also asked the US district court in southern Texas to bar Cameron County Sheriff Manuel Trevino from allowing Castro’s release from jail.Castro’s case has become part of a national debate over transparency and excessive violence during Trump’s mass deportation campaign.The agent was involved in the January 14 shooting of Julio Cesar Sosa-Celis, a Venezuelan man living in Minnesota. Officials allege that Castro fired a gun into Sosa-Celis’s front door, striking him in the leg.Initially, the Trump administration said the agents had fired in self-defence, accusing Sosa-Celis and two other people of attacking officers with a broom and a snow shovel during an immigration enforcement operation.Then-Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem went so far as to call the incident the “attempted murder” of an ICE agent.But video emerged contradicting the ICE agents’ testimony, and in February, federal prosecutors dropped the charges they had filed against Sosa-Celis and his housemate, Alfredo Aljorna.In a statement that month, ICE’s then-Acting Director Todd Lyons confirmed that Castro and a second ICE agent appeared to have lied about the incident. The two officers were subsequently placed on administrative leave.“A joint review by ICE and the Department of Justice (DOJ) of video evidence has revealed that sworn testimony provided by two separate officers appears to have made untruthful statements,” Lyons said in a statement at the time.In May, the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office charged Castro with four counts of second-degree assault and one count of falsely reporting a crime.“Mr Castro is an ICE agent. But his federal badge does not make him immune from state charges for his criminal conduct in Minnesota,” Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty said in a statement.Castro was arrested on May 29 in Texas, and he has remained in detention since.But Ellison has expressed concern that Texas officials – including Abbott, an ally of President Trump – could seek Castro’s release rather than have him face trial.The Minnesota attorney general described Castro as a flight risk, likely to flee across the US border to Mexico.“We know that [Castro] has some connections to Mexico, and we know that he has some thought of at some point going to Mexico,” Ellison said. “So, we do believe he’s a risk.”Abbott’s office told The Associated Press in a statement that it would not comment on “pending extradition matters”.Under Texas law, Ellison said the 52-year-old Castro could be released from custody as soon as next week – 90 days after he was detained – if Abbott does not agree to his extradition.The Sosa-Celis shooting was one of several cases this year that prompted questions about the use of deadly force during immigration proceedings.The Minneapolis area was the subject of one of Trump’s most intense immigration enforcement campaigns, dubbed Operation Metro Surge.Lasting from December to February, Operation Metro Surge saw what critics considered to be escalating tactics from immigration officials, including warrantless house searches.Two US citizens, Renee Good and Alex Pretty, were killed by agents during protests against the operation.

Source: Al Jazeera
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
World

US ambassador to Israel calls settler violence ‘terror’

• What happened: US Ambassador to Israel Mike Huckabee labeled the violence by Israeli settlers in the occupied West Bank as "terror," following a sie...

World

Quebec separatist says no independence referendum while Trump in office

• What happened: The leader of Quebec's Parti Quebecois, Paul St-Pierre Plamondon, announced that no independence referendum will be held until U.S. Presid...

World

Harvard agrees to pay millions after morgue manager sold body parts

• What happened: Harvard University has proposed a $53 million settlement to resolve lawsuits from families alleging the mishandling of donated bodies at its me...

World

Iran war live: Trump denies Iran talks, Tehran claims US ‘begging’

• What happened: Former President Donald Trump denied any scheduled talks between the US and Iran, while Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi claimed the US ...

World

Al Jazeera reports from Indonesia’s quake zone, desperate for help

• What happened: A 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck Flores Island in Indonesia, resulting in at least 70 fatalities and displacing thousands of residents. • Wh...

World

Democrats call for USS Lincoln probe, question US Navy’s readiness

• What happened: U.S. lawmakers, particularly Democrats, are calling for an investigation into the conditions aboard the USS Abraham Lincoln, which has set a re...