News

Nicosia district awaits €2m fund as hundreds of dangerous buildings remain

Cyprus Mail · 2026-08-18

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: Nicosia district awaits €2m fund as hundreds of dangerous buildings remain The Nicosia district government is awaiting access to a €2 million fund which was approved to help deal with dangerous buildings, with the matter of dangerous buildings having become a point of focus in recent months following collapses elsewher... • Why it matters: This update may be relevant for Cyprus residents, visitors, businesses or policymakers. • What to watch next: Follow CyprusDailyLife for updates.

The Nicosia district government is awaiting access to a €2 million fund which was approved to help deal with dangerous buildings, with the matter of dangerous buildings having become a point of focus in recent months following collapses elsewhere on the island. Speaking to the Cyprus News Agency, district governor Constantinos Yiorkadjis said the organisation was waiting for instructions from the interior ministry as to how the money can be accessed. The funding was originally approved for Nicosia municipality, but was transferred to the district government after the local government reform of 2024, when responsibility for dangerous buildings moved to their auspices. Nicosia mayor Charalambos Prountzos said the ministry had assured the municipality that the funding would remain available for the district. The latest district government register identifies 656 dangerous buildings across Nicosia district, while a further 55 buildings have been classified as requiring repairs. Of the buildings considered dangerous, 171 are located within the capital’s municipal boundaries, where another 28 buildings require repairs. The municipality and the district government have already begun carrying out joint inspections. Prountzos said cooperation between the two authorities had made it easier to assess properties, with the municipality already having its own records covering some buildings. The two authorities have separate responsibilities under the current system, for the municipality deals with nuisance complaints, while the district government is responsible for the identification of dangerous buildings. Prountzos said this division can create practical problems in the case when a building is both dangerous and causing a nuisance, as municipal employees may be unable to intervene safely. Owners of buildings classified as dangerous or requiring repairs have already been sent letters instructing them to take corrective measures. The district government will decide whether further action is necessary depending on how owners respond. The issue has come under greater scrutiny following the collapse of a building in the Limassol suburb of Yermasoyia earlier this year, which killed two people. Interior Minister Constantinos Ioannou has affirmed changes to the law governing dangerous buildings is an “immediate priority”. Ioannou himself has proposed creating a national register of dangerous buildings, with properties classified according to the level of risk they pose. He has stressed that a building being classified as dangerous does not automatically mean it must be demolished, with many properties potentially capable of being repaired. The scientific and technical chamber (Etek) has separately proposed a digital register to record dangerous buildings, classify their condition and improve communication between authorities and property owners.

Source: Cyprus Mail
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
News

Don’t let the killers off the hook

• What happened: Don’t let the killers off the hook Opinion 1974Cyprus problemTurkish Cypriots Don’t let the killers off the hook Image 340 Relevant News Don’t ...

News

Hunters urged to put safety first as summer season opens Sunday

• What happened: Hunters urged to put safety first as summer season opens Sunday Hunters have been urged to exercise particular caution and strictly observe hun...

News

How Cyprus fared at the 2026 European Athletics Championships

• What happened: How Cyprus fared at the 2026 European Athletics Championships Sports athleticsTop News How Cyprus fared at the 2026 European Athletics Champion...

News

Cyprus ranks first worldwide for video game firms per capita, report finds

• What happened: Cyprus ranks first worldwide for video game firms per capita, report finds Local statisticsTop Newsvideo games Cyprus ranks first worldwide for...

News

Cyprus, Greek banks shift focus from rates to growth after strong H1

• What happened: Cyprus, Greek banks shift focus from rates to growth after strong H1 Economy bankscyprusGreeceTop News Cyprus, Greek banks shift focus from rat...

News

New decree to target support for energy-poor households in Cyprus

• What happened: New decree to target support for energy-poor households in Cyprus Local EACelectricityenergyTop News New decree to target support for energy-po...