World

North Korea fires ballistic missiles as US-South Korea drills near end

Al Jazeera · 2026-08-20

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: North Korea launched more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles, prompting South Korea to condemn the actions and hold an emergency security meeting amid ongoing US-South Korea military drills that President Trump has ordered to be scaled back. • Why it matters: The missile launches violate UN Security Council resolutions and highlight ongoing tensions on the Korean Peninsula, as North Korea views joint military exercises as rehearsals for invasion. • What to watch next: Monitor the response from the US and South Korea regarding North Korea's missile capabilities and any potential diplomatic communications between Trump and Kim Jong Un following the recent military developments.

SaveSharefacebookxwhatsapp-strokecopylinkUS President Donald Trump instructed the Pentagon to 'substantially' reduce joint South Korea-US military exercises, framing the decision as both a conciliatory gesture toward North Korea and a response to the drills' high costs [File: Yonhap South Korea Out/EPA]By AFP and ReutersPublished On 20 Aug 202620 Aug 2026South Korea has condemned North Korea’s launch ⁠of more than 10 short-range ballistic missiles, following military drills between Seoul and Washington that US President Donald Trump is seeking to curb.South Korea’s presidential office on Thursday convened an emergency security meeting with defence ministry and military officials after North Korea fired missiles from the Pyongyang area toward the sea east of the Korean Peninsula, the office said in a statement.Recommended Stories list of 4 itemslist 1 of 4‘Tit for tat’: Why is Trump cosying up to North Korea’s Kim Jong Un again?list 2 of 4North Korea leader’s sister denies talks with ‘hostile’ USlist 3 of 4Alarm in South Korea as dispute with US over Iran shakes a 72-year alliancelist 4 of 4Alarms blare in South Korea during annual air raid defence drillend of list“The ballistic missile launch is a grave act ‌that violates UN Security Council resolutions,” Seoul said, calling on North Korea to immediately halt further missile launches.The latest launches from nuclear-armed North Korea come as South Korea and the US held a shorter edition of their annual Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercises, following an order from Trump to scale them back.Pyongyang has long condemned US-South Korea joint exercises as rehearsals for invasion, often staging missile launches around the drills.The North Korean missiles flew around 300km (186 miles) toward the sea, South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff said.South Korean Defence Minister Ahn Gyu-back told lawmakers that the short-range ballistic missiles are believed to be 600 mm multiple rocket launchers, adding that Seoul has tracked them because they could be potentially deployed near its border with the South.Pyongyang has previously described the 600 mm system, known externally as the KN-25, as being able to deliver tactical nuclear warheads. Ahn said earlier in the day that ⁠North Korea possesses between 80 and 120 nuclear warheads. Trump reduces drills in bid to court PyongyangThe launch came after North Korea’s Kim Yo Jong, the sister of leader Kim Jong Un, on Wednesday condemned the ⁠US-South Korea military drills.Trump cut the drills short – they are now set to end Friday – and said he wanted to revive diplomacy with leader Kim Jong Un.Hours after the launches, Kim’s sister, Kim Yo Jong, described Trump’s decision as “an evident disaster brought by the unrealistic and anachronistic security outlook” pursued by Seoul, arguing the South had a “master-and-servant” relationship with the US.Trump said on Monday he had received a response from Kim Jong Un after scaling back the military exercises. However, Kim’s sister on Wednesday said she was unaware of any recent communications between the two countries’ leaders, maintaining the “hostile policy” of the US towards North Korea had ⁠not changed.Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman ⁠Maria Zakharova ⁠on Thursday ‌said Moscow “can only welcome” the US decision ⁠to cut ⁠back its ⁠participation in military ⁠exercises ⁠with South Korea.Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi, who visited Seoul this week, urged South Korea ‌not ‌to take sides between Beijing and Washington, saying the US should abandon its “hostile” policy toward North Korea to ease tensions on the Korean Peninsula.Trump’s sudden focus on Kim and his scaling back of joint US-South Korean military drills have alarmed Asian allies, while sparking speculation that he was seeking a foreign policy win as the Iran war stalls.

Source: Al Jazeera
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
World

Bessent urges US partners to back plans to 'squash' Iran economy

• What happened: US Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent called on US allies to support efforts to significantly weaken the Iranian economy, following President Tru...

World

Carlos Alcaraz confirms US Open return after four-month injury layoff

• What happened: Carlos Alcaraz announced his return to competitive tennis at the US Open after a four-month injury layoff due to a wrist injury. • Why it mat...

World

Bangladesh elects ruling party veteran Alamgir as president

• What happened: Mirza Fakhrul Islam Alamgir was elected as the new president of Bangladesh on August 20, 2026, following the resignation of former president Mo...

World

Humanoid robots take centre stage in China-US tech race

• What happened: The World Robot Conference in Beijing showcased significant advancements in humanoid robots, highlighting the competition between Chinese and A...

World

Swiss tourist jailed for insulting Bali’s sacred Day of Silence

• What happened: A Swiss tourist, Luzian Andrin Zgraggen, was sentenced to one year in prison in Bali for posting disrespectful videos on social media during th...

World

Daily struggle for clean water and food takes a physical toll on Gaza kids

• What happened: Children in Gaza, particularly in the Maghazi refugee camp, are struggling daily to secure clean water and food, facing physical exhaustion and...