News

Paphos domestic violence suspect probed over illegal CCTV, weapons claims

In-Cyprus · 2026-08-22

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: A 48-year-old man in Paphos, already facing domestic violence charges, is now under investigation for illegal CCTV installation and potential weapons possession following a police search of his property. • Why it matters: The case highlights ongoing concerns about domestic violence in Cyprus, with authorities fearing a risk of reoffending, especially given the man's history of similar offenses and a prior conviction for grievous bodily harm. • What to watch next: The man's trial for domestic violence is pending, and further examination of the seized CCTV footage may reveal additional legal implications, as police continue to investigate his activities and potential connections to other criminal matters.

Local domestic violencePaphosTop Newstrial Paphos domestic violence suspect probed over illegal CCTV, weapons claims Paphos Astynomia 1 Relevant News How Cyprus’s Foreign Ministry got Somalia to correct its slip 22 August 2026 Paphos domestic violence suspect probed over illegal CCTV, weapons claims 22 August 2026 Police fear new wave of violence after Ayia Napa attempted murder 22 August 2026 Fanis Makrides 22 August 2026 FacebookXWhatsAppEmailPrintViber The case of a 48-year-old man in Paphos, already facing renewed domestic violence charges since last Tuesday, has taken on new dimensions, with authorities now examining his possible involvement in other criminal matters. Police searched a property belonging to the man in a Paphos district village two nights ago. The operation acted on allegations of illegal weapons possession and antiquities smuggling. According to philenews information, the search found no evidence to support those allegations. Police did, however, seize CCTV equipment the man is alleged to have installed at several points around the village, recording footage from public spaces. That may be illegal, and senior police officers will examine the material further to clarify the matter. The operation was carried out under a search warrant a court had approved for the property. It also drew attention for the wide range of police units involved. Bomb disposal and police dog units took part, alongside the force’s Technological Development Department. philenews reported last Tuesday that the man’s name had already surfaced over separate matters of public interest linked to Paphos that emerged earlier this year, and had featured prominently in public debate in the province and beyond. The outlet said the latest operation confirmed that his role continues to be examined by authorities. Remanded The Paphos District Court ruled on Friday that the man will be held in custody pending trial over the domestic violence case filed against him last Tuesday. According to the charge sheet, he is accused of abusive behaviour towards his former partner. Three other identical cases have been filed against him, with the same woman as complainant. Prosecutors cited this pattern as the basis for their request to keep him in custody until trial, arguing there was a risk of “repetition of offences against the complainant.” The man faces charges of psychological violence, threats, insult, breach of a court order and contempt of court. The case was filed after an alleged recent incident. His arrest followed a verbal altercation at a public event attended by both him and his former partner. His lawyer, Alexandros Alexandrou, described the charges as alleged rather than proven and said “my client did not use violence.” The man also has a prior conviction against a former partner. A senior district judge ruled in 2007 that he had punched her in the stomach, rupturing her spleen, and found him guilty on all three charges he faced: causing grievous bodily harm under the law on the prevention of domestic violence and protection of victims, causing grievous bodily harm to the complainant, and insult. Subscribe to our Newsletter Latest News How Cyprus’s Foreign Ministry got Somalia to correct its slip Police fear new wave of violence after Ayia Napa attempted murder Cyprus in Brussels: six MEPs, six different paths 27 cancer treatments show promise as science gets precise Cyprus weather: mostly clear with highs of 39C inland on Saturday A new era in the labour market: Transparency, equality and investment in skills Turkey issues arrest warrant for Netanyahu over Gaza flotilla raid Follow en.philenews on Google News and be the first to know all the news about Cyprus and the world.

Source: In-Cyprus
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
News

Cyprus fuel prices dive as EU-wide costs rise

• What happened: Fuel prices in Cyprus saw a significant decline in July, with diesel prices dropping 7.9% and petrol prices falling 5.4%, contrasting with risi...

News

Free film nights outside Nicosia Municipal Theatre

• What happened: The Nicosia Municipal Theatre is hosting free outdoor film nights on the last weekend of each month, featuring a series of cultural events incl...

News

On this day: Henry Kissinger was named U.S. Secretary of State in 1973

• What happened: On August 22, 1973, Dr. Henry Kissinger was appointed as the U.S. Secretary of State, influencing American foreign policy during the Cold War a...

News

Unrecognised Somaliland calls on Cyprus, Greece to recognise it

• What happened: The unrecognised 'Republic of Somaliland' has urged Cyprus and Greece to consider recognising it, following a controversial social me...

News

Somalia denies recognising northern Cyprus after parliament speaker’s comment - Hiiraan Online

• What happened: The Somali government denied recognizing Northern Cyprus after the Speaker of the Somali Parliament suggested potential acknowledgment of the s...

News

Mazotos residents go to court over desalination unit

• What happened: Residents of Mazotos have filed a legal challenge against the installation of a mobile desalination unit, citing environmental concerns and org...