News

Poland ‘very disappointed’ after Israel drops probe into killing of Polish citizen

In-Cyprus · 2026-08-21

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: Poland expressed strong disappointment after Israel decided to discontinue its investigation into the killing of a Polish citizen, Damian Sobol, during an airstrike in Gaza in April 2024. • Why it matters: The decision has led Poland to summon Israel's ambassador, highlighting tensions over accountability for civilian casualties in the ongoing conflict, and reflects broader international concerns regarding military actions in Gaza. • What to watch next: Observers will be monitoring the response from Israeli authorities and any developments in Poland's parallel investigation, as well as potential diplomatic repercussions between Poland and Israel.

World gazaIsraelPolandTop News Poland ‘very disappointed’ after Israel drops probe into killing of Polish citizen 2024 04 02t115052z 1617977033 Rc2ay6a16fae Rtrmadp 3 Israel Palestinians Gaza Foreigners Poland 1 Relevant News Poland ‘very disappointed’ after Israel drops probe into killing of Polish citizen 21 August 2026 Police link morning Ayia Napa murder attempt to 2016 quadruple murder 21 August 2026 US says it will impose ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran 21 August 2026 newsroom 21 August 2026 FacebookXWhatsAppEmailPrintViber Poland’s foreign ministry said it was “very disappointed” and had summoned Israel’s ambassador in Warsaw after Israel decided not to pursue criminal proceedings over an attack on a volunteer convoy in Gaza in 2024 in which a Polish citizen was killed. Damian Sobol, a volunteer from Przemysl in southeastern Poland, was among seven people working for celebrity chef Jose Andres’ World Central Kitchen who were killed in the airstrike in central Gaza in April 2024, which caused an international outcry. “The Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Poland is very disappointed to receive the information provided on August 19, 2026, about the discontinuation of the proceedings,” the ministry said in a statement late on Thursday. It said the Israeli Ambassador in Warsaw had been summoned to the ministry. “The Polish side provided a critical assessment of the actions taken to date to clarify the causes and course of the tragedy, informed that a parallel investigation is being conducted by the District Prosecutor’s Office in Przemysl,” it said. It also “expressed its expectation that the Israeli side will provide the relevant Polish authorities with all necessary explanations and materials requested by Polish investigators.” Deputy Foreign Minister Ignacy Niemczycki told public radio PR1 on Friday that “we consider this a surprising decision.” “We believe that the use of force must be proportionate, and that inappropriate use of force should have consequences, so we expect clarification on this matter,” he said. Australia also summoned Israel’s ambassador in Canberra on Thursday after an Australian citizen was killed in the airstrike. More than 73,000 Palestinians have been killed in Israeli attacks since the start of the Gaza war in 2023. Israel’s military says its attacks target Hamas militants. It has said it opens investigations into some attacks ​involving civilian deaths. (Reuters) Subscribe to our Newsletter Latest News Police link morning Ayia Napa murder attempt to 2016 quadruple murder US says it will impose ‘toughest sanctions in history’ on Iran Protesters demonstrate against Lugano-Maccabi Tel Aviv match On this day: the Mona Lisa was stolen from the Louvre in Paris, in 1911 Second suspect held in Paphos delivery driver attack Paphos court remands 48-year-old until domestic violence trial International electronic music festival planned in occupied Kyrenia days after EXIT withdrawal Follow en.philenews on Google News and be the first to know all the news about Cyprus and the world.

Source: In-Cyprus
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
News

Iran’s target isn’t Cyprus. It’s the Bases.

• What happened: A recent report indicates that Iran may target British Bases in Cyprus as retaliation for U.S. actions, raising concerns about the island'...

News

Cyprus urged to see GSI as strategic infrastructure, not just a cost

• What happened: Cyprus is urged to view the Great Sea Interconnector (GSI) as a strategic energy infrastructure project rather than just a financial burden, wi...

News

UK forecaster predicts strongest El Niño in living memory

• What happened: The UK Met Office has predicted that the developing El Niño weather pattern is likely to be the strongest in living memory, with sea surface te...

News

Limassol-based technology firm sees July revenue climb to $531 million

• What happened: ASBISc Enterprises Plc, a Limassol-based IT distributor, reported a revenue of approximately $531 million in July 2026, marking an 89% increase...

News

Paphos steps up mosquito prevention after West Nile case

• What happened: The Paphos municipality is intensifying mosquito prevention measures following a confirmed case of West Nile virus in Nicosia, which has left a...

News

Nick Houwen explains what €600,000 buys in eastern Algarve vs Central Belt

• What happened: The Eastern Algarve is experiencing significant real estate price disparities, with properties in Alcoutim trading at €1,780 per square meter c...