News

Prince Harry and Meghan set to return to UK, reports say

Cyprus Mail · 2026-08-20

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are reportedly moving back to the UK this month with their children, Archie and Lilibet, for an extended period, marking their return after stepping down from royal duties in 2020. • Why it matters: Their return comes amid a backdrop of strained family relations, particularly with Prince William, and follows recent improvements in Harry's relationship with King Charles, who has been undergoing cancer treatment. • What to watch next: Observers will be keen to see how the Sussexes navigate their non-working royal status in the UK and whether their return impacts their ongoing media ventures and public perception.

Prince Harry and his wife Meghan plan to move back to Britain this month, six years after they stepped down from their royal duties and relocated to the U.S., media outlets reported on Wednesday. The Duke and Duchess of Sussex are moving with Prince Archie, 7, and Princess Lilibet, 5, from California to the UK for an extended period and the children will begin school there in September, People magazine and British newspaper The Telegraph reported. There was no comment from Harry’s spokesperson or from Buckingham Palace. However, a source close to the couple confirmed the reports’ accuracy. According to The Telegraph, the couple will not live in a royal residence. They will remain non-working royals as agreed with the late Queen Elizabeth when they left in March 2020. From royal life to California Harry married Meghan Markle in a ceremony at Windsor Castle in 2018, and it was hoped his union with the former actress, whose mother is Black, would reinvigorate the historic institution. But it was not long before cracks in their relationship with the rest of the royal family began to emerge. Two years later in March 2020, they announced they would step down from official duties and move to the U.S. They settled in the wealthy seaside enclave of Montecito near Santa Barbara, California, with media reports putting the 2020 purchase price of their 16-bedroom home at $14.7 million. In the following years, Harry, now 41, and Meghan, 45, repeatedly criticised the royal family and the monarchy in TV interviews, a Netflix NFLX.O documentary series and most notably in Harry’s memoir “Spare”. During a 2021 interview the couple gave to Oprah Winfrey, Meghan said an unnamed member of the family had asked how dark their son Archie’s skin might be. Heir-to-the-throne Prince William, Harry’s elder brother, responded by denying that Britain’s royals were racist. Harry had some particularly barbed comments for his father, King Charles, and Prince William, leading to a total breakdown in their relationship. Harry was also angry the British government changed his security arrangements and said the lack of ​automatic police protection meant he was unable to bring his children to Britain. Relations with King Charles begin to thaw But relations with the king appeared to be thawing in September, and father and son met briefly for the first time in 20 months. Charles was diagnosed with an unspecified type of cancer in 2024. He announced on television last December that he had responded “exceptionally well” to treatment and that doctors were reducing his treatments. Last month, Harry, Meghan and their children visited Britain, and Charles saw his grandchildren for the first time since 2022. However, while the king welcomed the chance to see more of the Sussexes, the reports said he only became aware of the couple’s plans to return to Britain on Sunday. While Harry and the king’s relationship might have improved, he is still barely on speaking terms with his brother. Harry and Meghan embarked on several media ventures from their home just north of Hollywood, signing multi-million dollar deals with Spotify SPOT.N for a podcast series and with Netflix for programming including a lifestyle show hosted by Meghan, a former actor. The projects produced mixed results. Harry’s tell-all book was a bestseller but their podcast deal ended and Meghan’s Netflix show was not renewed for a third season. “I think they didn’t achieve the superstar status they wanted,” said Dominic Patten, executive editor of Hollywood publication Deadline.com. They did, however, keep the public interested in their story in a town full of big-name celebrities, Patten said. “He and Meghan have kept that flame aflutter,” Patten said. “If you look at how quickly Hollywood careers can burn out, on that level, by that metric, they’ve been successful.”

Source: Cyprus Mail
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
News

Cyprus rejects Iran escalation fears, says it remains ‘pillar of stability’

• What happened: Cyprus has rejected fears of potential Iranian retaliation, asserting its role as a "pillar of stability" in the region amidst report...

News

Illegal jet ski and boat rentals putting swimmers at risk, association warns

• What happened: The Pancyprian Water Sports Association has raised concerns about illegal jet ski and boat rentals in Cyprus, which are being offered to minors...

News

Today’s weather: Largely sunny, clouds in mountains

• What happened: Cyprus is experiencing mostly sunny weather on Thursday, with temperatures reaching up to 38 degrees Celsius inland and clouds expected to deve...

News

Cyprus pension reform avoids cuts but unions raise concerns

• What happened: Cyprus announced a pension reform that avoids cuts, reduces penalties, and promises increases for current and future pensioners, with implement...

News

Australia ‘outraged’ after Israel closes investigation into killing of Amalthea aid workers

• What happened: Australia expressed outrage after Israel decided not to pursue criminal proceedings against those responsible for the killing of seven aid work...

News

Trump threatens to destroy countries that provide ‘lifeline’ to Iran

• What happened: U.S. President Donald Trump threatened economic penalties against countries providing support to Iran, raising tensions with major trading part...