News

Search continues for 22 after bulk carrier sinks off India

In-Cyprus · 2026-08-23

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: India launched a search-and-rescue operation for 22 crew members after a Panama-flagged bulk carrier, the Ocean Winner, sank off the eastern coast of India. Two crew members have been rescued so far. • Why it matters: The incident raises concerns about maritime safety and the well-being of international crews, as the vessel had a diverse crew comprising mainly Chinese nationals, along with Myanmar and Bangladeshi nationals. • What to watch next: The ongoing search efforts by the Indian Coast Guard and updates on the condition of the rescued crew members will be closely monitored, along with investigations into the cause of the sinking.

World indiarescue operation India launches rescue operation as bulk carrier sinks off east coast Ocean Winner 1024x575 Relevant News India launches rescue operation as bulk carrier sinks off east coast 23 August 2026 Cyprus beach safety under scrutiny after jet ski crash and lifeguard shortages 23 August 2026 Police arrest seven in overnight Cyprus crackdown, check more than 1,100 people 23 August 2026 Newsroom 23 August 2026 FacebookXWhatsAppEmailPrintViber India’s maritime rescue agency lost communication on Saturday with a Panama-flagged cargo vessel that sank off the coast of eastern India, the Indian Coast Guard said. The vessel had 24 crew on board, including 20 Chinese nationals, three Myanmar nationals and one Bangladeshi, according to Commandant Amit Uniyal, a spokesperson for the Coast Guard. The Coast Guard sent two vessels for the search-and-rescue mission from Sri Vijaya Puram, formerly known as Port Blair, Uniyal said. The Coast Guard has rescued two people from life rafts. The search-and-rescue mission is under way for the seafarers on the vessel, the agency said. The Ocean Winner was carrying iron ore to Singapore after departing from India’s eastern Paradip port on Thursday, according to government sources, adding that the ship sank around 240 nautical miles from the port. The cause of the sinking was unknown. Captain Alekha Charan Sahoo, deputy conservator of the Paradip Port Authority, said he was praying for the safety of the crew on board and hoping for the best. (Reuters) Subscribe to our Newsletter Latest News Cyprus beach safety under scrutiny after jet ski crash and lifeguard shortages Police arrest seven in overnight Cyprus crackdown, check more than 1,100 people Cyprus temperatures reach 39C as mountain rain possible from Monday Potamos tis Militsas: a taste of the Cypriot countryside in Kambi Stou Rousia: three locations serving traditional Cypriot cuisine Mostly clear Sunday, highs of 39 degrees inland Cyprus tells UN Turkey’s occupied-area gas pipeline deal is illegal Follow en.philenews on Google News and be the first to know all the news about Cyprus and the world.

Source: In-Cyprus
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
News

''European involvement'' could backfire by helping end Turkish Cypriot isolation - Knews, Kathimerini

• What happened: Analysts warn that increased European involvement in Cyprus could inadvertently reinforce divisions between the Turkish and Greek Cypriot commu...

News

Cyprus Business Now: weekly wrap-up

• What happened: Cyprus has entered the top ten largest video game industries in Europe by revenue, with over 400 companies generating an estimated €3.2 billion...

News

Coroner to rule on black professor’s media hounding

• What happened: Professor Jason Arday, a prominent black academic embroiled in a plagiarism controversy, was found dead in his South London flat, with indicati...

News

Labour Ministry open to changes as €58m in undeclared work debts face write-off

• What happened: The Labour Ministry of Cyprus is considering changes to a proposed bill that would write off approximately €58 million in debts related to unde...

News

Charalambos Alexandrou: Turkey had been trying to dismantle the Republic of Cyprus since 1963

• What happened: Charalambos Alexandrou, an Assistant Professor at Aristotle University, discussed the historical context of Turkey's attempts to dismantle...

News

Tales from the Coffeeshop: Bringing people together undermines Cyprus’ reunification efforts

• What happened: The Serbian company EXIT canceled a techno music concert scheduled for September 18 next to Kyrenia castle due to pressure from the Cypriot gov...