News

South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear warheads, far above Trump’s figure

In-Cyprus · 2026-08-20

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: South Korea's defense minister estimated that North Korea possesses between 80 and 120 nuclear warheads, significantly higher than former President Trump's claim of 57 warheads. • Why it matters: This discrepancy highlights the differing assessments of North Korea's nuclear capabilities and raises concerns about regional security and the effectiveness of diplomatic efforts to denuclearize the Korean Peninsula. • What to watch next: Observers should monitor upcoming diplomatic engagements between the U.S. and North Korea, particularly any meetings between President Trump and Kim Jong Un, as well as South Korea's response to these developments and its ongoing reliance on the U.S. nuclear umbrella.

World Donald Trumpnorth koreanuclearTop Newsweapons South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear warheads, far above Trump’s figure President Trump Meets With Chairman Kim Jong Un 48164812602 562d1b 1024 Relevant News South Korea estimates North Korea has up to 120 nuclear warheads, far above Trump’s figure 20 August 2026 Israeli warns Turkey against ‘dangerous adventures’ in Syria; Syria says no Turkish build-up planned 20 August 2026 Trump warns of economic consequences for any country that supports Iran 20 August 2026 newsroom 20 August 2026 FacebookXWhatsAppEmailPrintViber South Korea estimates North Korea possesses between 80 and 120 nuclear warheads, its defence minister said on Thursday, citing a range significantly higher than U.S. President Donald Trump’s recent assertion that Pyongyang has 57 nuclear weapons. Defence Minister Ahn Gyu-back told lawmakers that North Korea was generally believed to have around 80 to 120 warheads, although he cautioned it was difficult to determine an exact figure. “We usually see it as around 80 to 120, but it is considerably limited to state an exact number,” Ahn told a parliamentary committee. Later, Ahn clarified that the figure was derived from estimates by private research organisations, adding that South Korea’s military could not officially confirm the numbers. Asked about Trump’s comment a day earlier that Kim possessed 57 “very powerful nuclear weapons”, Ahn said, “the numbers appear somewhat different.” Trump made the remark at the White House on Wednesday while discussing North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and his plans to meet him later this year. South Korea has traditionally avoided publicly disclosing detailed estimates of North Korea’s nuclear stockpile and does not officially recognize Pyongyang as a nuclear weapons state under its long-standing policy supporting denuclearisation. Ahn reiterated that position when asked whether the government acknowledged North Korea as a nuclear-armed state. “We cannot officially acknowledge that,” he said. He also declined to comment on whether Trump’s reference to 57 warheads amounted to U.S. recognition of North Korea’s nuclear status, saying it would not be appropriate for South Korea’s defence minister to comment on the U.S. president’s remarks. Ahn said South Korea would continue to rely on the U.S. nuclear umbrella, in line with Seoul’s longstanding non-nuclear policy. “We cannot develop nuclear weapons. Nor should we accept the deployment of U.S. tactical nuclear weapons,” Ahn said. The comments came as Trump seeks to revive engagement with Kim after ordering a scale-back of joint U.S.-South Korean military drills, which he described as “hostile” to North Korea. North Korea responded coolly to the move. Kim Yo Jong, the influential sister of the North Korean leader, said the reduced exercises remained provocative and aggressive despite their shortened duration. She dismissed any suggestion that Pyongyang would view the move as a meaningful goodwill gesture and said she was unaware of any recent contacts between Trump and Kim, although she described the personal relationship between the leaders as “excellent.” Trump said at the White House on Wednesday that he expected to meet Kim later this year, potentially reviving diplomacy that stalled after a series of unprecedented summits in 2018 and 2019 collapsed over disagreements on sanctions relief and North Korea’s nuclear weapons programme. (Reuters) Subscribe to our Newsletter Latest News Israeli warns Turkey against ‘dangerous adventures’ in Syria; Syria says no Turkish build-up planned Trump warns of economic consequences for any country that supports Iran Cyprus ranks mid-tier on EU minimum wage when adjusted for purchasing power German paper says Greece-Cyprus-Israel cable project gaining new momentum Elephant deaths under investigation in Kenya’s Amboseli ecosystem On this day: Usain Bolt sets new world record in men’s 200m race in 2016 Agios Ioannis redevelopment begins in Larnaca after decade of delays Follow en.philenews on Google News and be the first to know all the news about Cyprus and the world.

Source: In-Cyprus
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
News

North Korea fires suspected ballistic missile, Japanese authorities say

• What happened: North Korea fired a suspected ballistic missile towards the sea, which was confirmed by Japan's government and South Korean military sourc...

News

Admire the state: how it recycles its own inertia

• What happened: Cyprus has been referred to the Court of Justice of the European Union due to its failure to meet conservation obligations for Natura 2000 area...

News

He wanted to exist only on paper

• What happened: An opinion piece highlights the plight of an undocumented migrant in Cyprus, illustrating the struggles faced by third-country nationals in the...

News

Four nations join forces with Cyprus for joint naval exercise

• What happened: Warships from Cyprus, Greece, Germany, Italy, and the United States conducted a joint naval exercise named “Cyprus Arrow” in the waters south o...

News

Cyprus and Libya explore closer business ties

• What happened: Cyprus and Libya held a meeting to discuss strengthening economic and business relations, focusing on potential collaboration in sectors like c...

News

Patient hospitalised in Nicosia with West Nile virus

• What happened: A patient has been hospitalized in the ICU at Nicosia General Hospital after testing positive for West Nile virus, as confirmed by the Ministry...