World

Swedish police identify 17-year-old girl as victim in school sword attack

Al Jazeera · 2026-08-22

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: A 17-year-old girl was identified as the victim of a sword attack at a high school in Fagersta, Sweden, where an 18-year-old student was arrested for the incident that also left two others seriously injured. • Why it matters: The attack has prompted national mourning and political leaders to pause campaigning ahead of the upcoming elections, highlighting ongoing concerns about school violence in Sweden. • What to watch next: Investigators are examining the suspect's potential connections to online communities that promote violence, and further interviews with students and staff at the school are planned as the investigation continues.

SaveSharefacebookxwhatsapp-strokecopylinkResidents leave flowers and candles at a makeshift memorial outside a school in Fagersta, Sweden, a day after a deadly attack, August 22, 2026 [Magnus Lejhall/TT News Agency via Reuters]By AFP and ReutersPublished On 22 Aug 202622 Aug 2026Swedish police have identified the victim of Friday’s deadly sword attack at a Fagersta high school as a 17-year-old girl, as her classmates and the country’s political leaders gather to mourn her.“The person killed in this incident is a young 17-year-old female. Her family has been informed,” police said on Saturday, declining to release further details.Recommended Stories list of 3 itemslist 1 of 3Seven killed, including two police officers, in UK ‘wrong-side’ car crashlist 2 of 3How a Swedish Palestinian minister raised controversy with Star of Davidlist 3 of 3One killed, three injured in sword attack at school in Swedenend of listLocal newspaper Fagersta-Posten reported that her parents confirmed the death.The Brinell School’s principal told local media the 18-year-old suspect was a student there. He entered the building on Friday afternoon, just days after classes resumed from summer break, and was arrested at the scene of the attack.Two boys, aged 12 and 17, were seriously wounded in the attack, one requiring emergency surgery. A third victim was treated for light injuries and has since gone home.By Saturday morning, the scene outside Brinell had transformed into a memorial of candles, flowers and a steady stream of visitors, including Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson and opposition leader Magdalena Andersson, who travelled to Fagersta to pay their respects.Political parties across the country paused campaigning ahead of September’s election.Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson and Social Democratic Party leader Magdalena Andersson visit the makeshift memorial, a day after a sword attack in Fagersta, Sweden [Magnus Lejhall/EPA]An unnamed police source told the Reuters news agency that investigators are looking into whether the suspect had ties to online communities that promote school violence.Police are examining a TikTok account, taken down hours after the attack, that posted an image of a sword 20 minutes before it began and had previously featured videos referencing past school attacks in Sweden and Norwegian mass murderer Anders Behring Breivik.“The investigators are looking into various online communities which might have egged on the suspect to carry out the attack,” the Reuters source said.Prosecutors have ordered the person held on suspicion of murder and multiple counts of attempted murder.Police say they have carried out about 80 interviews so far, with plans to question nearly all of the school’s roughly 450 staff members and students.The attack adds to a grim pattern. Sweden endured its deadliest school shooting last year, when a gunman killed 10 people in Orebro, and a 2015 sword attack in Trollhattan that killed three people in what authorities called a racially motivated hate crime.

Source: Al Jazeera
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
World

More than 200,000 newly displaced in Sudan’s Kordofan region

• What happened: Over 200,000 people have been newly displaced in Sudan's Kordofan region due to intensified fighting since late 2022, with the ongoing con...

World

Israeli strikes kill two and injure others as Gaza attacks continue

• What happened: Israeli strikes in Gaza have resulted in the deaths of at least two Palestinians and injuries to four others, with ongoing attacks leading to m...

World

Putin warns Ukraine has opened ‘Pandora’s box’, rejects peace proposals

• What happened: Vladimir Putin warned that Ukraine has opened a 'Pandora's box' by targeting Russia's economy and rejected peace proposals ...

World

Envoy says Israel did not give the US notice before strikes on Syrian base

• What happened: US Ambassador to Turkiye Tom Barrack accused Israel of not providing prior notice before its military strikes on the Abu Duhur military base in...

World

Canada to match US tariffs “dollar for dollar,” PM Carney says

• What happened: Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney announced that Canada will implement retaliatory tariffs matching new US tariffs "dollar for dollar&qu...

World

Carney: Canada will enact retaliatory US tariffs starting September 8

• What happened: Canadian Prime Minister Mark Carney announced retaliatory tariffs on US imports starting September 8, following the US's imposition of 50%...