World

Trump claims Hormuz on Truth Social, Rezaei says 'shut until US changes'

Euronews World · 2026-08-23

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: Iranian officials, including Mohsen Rezaei, declared the Strait of Hormuz closed until the US changes its behavior, while Donald Trump claimed the strait as "new American territory" on Truth Social. • Why it matters: The Strait of Hormuz is a critical shipping lane for global oil and gas exports, and tensions between Iran and the US could escalate further, impacting international trade and security. • What to watch next: Monitor developments in US-Iran negotiations and any potential military or economic actions that could arise from the ongoing dispute over the Strait of Hormuz.

By Chaima Chihi & يورونيوز Published on 23/08/2026 - 15:46 GMT+2 Share Comments Add Euronews on Google Share Facebook Twitter Flipboard Send Reddit Linkedin Messenger Telegram VK Bluesky Threads Whatsapp Rezaei told Iranian state TV that the Strait of Hormuz is closed, despite US claims, and will not reopen until America changes its 'behaviour'. US President Donald Trump has renewed his proposal on the future of the Strait of Hormuz, after posting on the Truth Social platform a map that depicts the strategic waterway as "new American territory", though he did not comment on the image. ADVERTISEMENT ADVERTISEMENT This is not the first time Trump has published the same map highlighting the Strait of Hormuz, as he had already shared it on 18 August. The US president first floated the idea of treating the strait as American territory on 15 August. "After we finish defeating Iran, which is suffering a very severe defeat, I will soon announce that the Strait of Hormuz will be land belonging to the United States," Trump said at a rally in New York. The Strait of Hormuz is one of the world's most important shipping lanes; before the outbreak of the war, around one-fifth of global exports of crude oil and liquefied natural gas passed through it. While Iran insists it has asserted control over the strait, Trump, for his part, maintains that the United States is the one that "fully controls" the passage. Tehran has kept the strait closed since the war began, and its dispute with Washington continues over the conditions for reopening it. In a related development, an official Iranian account earlier described the US state of California as "new land belonging to Iran". Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Kazem Gharibabadi also joined the response to Trump's remarks, writing: "His illusions about the Strait of Hormuz will be corrected soon, or we will correct the illusions of this delusional man." Tehran ties reopening Hormuz to 'changing US behaviour' Mohsen Rezaei, secretary of Iran's Supreme National Security Council, said on Saturday that the Strait of Hormuz would remain closed until the United States fulfils its commitments and changes what he called its "behaviour". Related Trump says 'no talks' taking place with Iran and claims Strait of Hormuz is 'open and operating' "The Strait of Hormuz is closed, despite American claims, and it will not be opened until America corrects its behaviour... This time, America must first honour its commitments," Rezaei told Iranian state television. Iran warns Gulf states not to join Washington's sanctions Rezaei issued a warning to countries that might join US economic measures against Tehran. "We declare to all countries... Do not join the economic war being waged by the United States," he said, stressing that "any country that takes part in imposing economic restrictions on us will be considered an enemy." The Iranian official also threatened to "harm" the interests of countries that, in his words, "refuse to distance themselves" from the United States. Rezaei said Iran has so far used only part of its capabilities, noting that the attacks it has carried out have targeted US military bases only, without hitting the United States' economic interests. "So far, we have targeted military bases only, but if they want to impose economic sanctions on us, the United States has oil companies and other businesses around Iran and elsewhere, and we will strike them," he added: Rezaei warned President Trump that any new move against Iran could trigger a major escalation. Tehran and Washington signed a memorandum of understanding in June aimed at ending the war and paving the way for a broader agreement between the two sides. However, the process of reaching an understanding later stalled because of disagreements over how it should be implemented, as well as disputes surrounding navigation arrangements in the Strait of Hormuz. Talks involving Iran and the Sultanate of Oman on regulating traffic in the vital waterway have continued, but have so far failed to produce a breakthrough or a decisive agreement. Go to accessibility shortcuts Share Comments Add Euronews on Google Read more FIFA hands Argentina's Paredes a 10-match ban over world cup final brawl Trump claims Hormuz on Truth Social, Rezaei says 'shut until US changes' Canadian PM Carney says new US tariffs are 'designed to hurt us and divide us' Donald Trump USA Iran Strait of Hormuz

Source: Euronews World
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
World

PM Tarique Rahman’s trip stalled: What it means for Bangladesh-India ties

• What happened: Bangladesh's Prime Minister Tarique Rahman's inaugural trip to India has been postponed due to diplomatic tensions following a contro...

World

Nordic nations ‘have lost confidence in Infantino’, demand FIFA reforms

• What happened: Six Nordic football associations publicly expressed their loss of confidence in FIFA President Gianni Infantino and called for reforms in FIFA&...

World

The Suez Crisis stopped the British Empire. Will Hormuz defeat the US?

• What happened: Al Jazeera's podcast "Deja Vu" explores the historical significance of the 1956 Suez Crisis and its parallels to current geopoli...

World

Kejelcha breaks men's half marathon world record by 29 seconds

• What happened: Ethiopian runner Yomif Kejelcha broke the men's half marathon world record in Buenos Aires, finishing in 56 minutes and 51 seconds, surpas...

World

Chelsea preview: Five key talking points for 2026-27 Premier League season

• What happened: Chelsea Football Club is preparing for the 2026-27 Premier League season under new manager Xabi Alonso, following a tumultuous period marked by...

World

Heavy Israeli air strike hits warehouse in central Gaza

• What happened: Israeli forces conducted a heavy air strike on a warehouse east of Az-Zawayda in central Gaza, resulting in significant destruction and raising...