News

Trump says no talks are taking place with Iran and none are scheduled

Cyprus Mail · 2026-08-18

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: Trump says no talks are taking place with Iran and none are scheduled President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that talks between the U.S. and Iran were neither taking place nor scheduled but the Strait of Hormuz was open, while Iran said the shipping route would remain closed until the U.S. fulfilled the terms of an int... • Why it matters: This update may be relevant for Cyprus residents, visitors, businesses or policymakers. • What to watch next: Follow CyprusDailyLife for updates.

President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that talks between the U.S. and Iran were neither taking place nor scheduled but the Strait of Hormuz was open, while Iran said the shipping route would remain closed until the U.S. fulfilled the terms of an interim deal. “There are no talks or conversations going on, or scheduled, with the Islamic Republic of Iran. The Naval Blockade remains in full force and effect. The Hormuz Strait is open and operating. All water mines have been removed or detonated,” Trump said in a post on Truth Social. Top Iranian negotiator Mohammad Baqer Qalibaf said in comments published by state media on Tuesday that the Strait would remain shut until the U.S. met the conditions of an interim deal signed with Iran in June. These conditions include the U.S. lifting its blockade of Iranian ports, lifting oil sanctions, releasing Tehran’s frozen assets, and ending threats and military operations on all fronts, Qalibaf told parliament. On Monday, Jared Kushner, Trump’s son-in-law and special envoy, was optimistic about talks that he said were still underway. “I can’t go into the details of it, but I will say that the conversations between the U.S. government and different areas of the Iranian government at all areas is probably more robust than it’s maybe ever been,” Kushner told Fox News. Outward progress towards peace talks and a resumption of oil tanker traffic through the strategic Strait of Hormuz has ground to a halt, threatening to extend the conflict that the U.S. and Israel launched with attacks on Iran on February 28. A senior Iranian official told Reuters on Monday that Iran will shift to a “fully offensive” military posture because efforts to negotiate a permanent end to the war with the U.S. have stalled. Asked by reporters on Monday if the U.S. was seeking to extend June’s interim agreement, Trump said no.

Source: Cyprus Mail
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
News

82-year-old dies after traffic accident

• What happened: 82-year-old dies after traffic accident An 82-year-old woman died of injuries sustained in a traffic accident earlier this month in Limassol on...

News

Patients warned against relying on AI for medical diagnoses - Cyprus Mail

• What happened: Patients warned against relying on AI for medical diagnoses - Cyprus Mail Patients warned against relying on AI for medical diagnoses Cyprus Ma...

News

Patients warned against relying on AI for medical diagnoses

• What happened: Patients warned against relying on AI for medical diagnoses Patients should exercise caution when using artificial intelligence to diagnose sym...

News

Egyptian man drowns after diving into water for phone

• What happened: Egyptian man drowns after diving into water for phone A 27-year-old Egyptian man who died during a boat trip off Lady’s Mile beach on August 15...

News

German court convicts Ukrainian man over parcel bomb plot tied to Russia

• What happened: German court convicts Ukrainian man over parcel bomb plot tied to Russia A German court convicted a Ukrainian man on Tuesday over what prosecut...

News

UK updates Cyprus travel advice over surrogacy procedures in north

• What happened: UK updates Cyprus travel advice over surrogacy procedures in north The UK’s foreign office has updated travel advice for British nationals visi...