World

UNSC to hold second informal vote for organisation's next secretary general

Euronews World · 2026-08-21

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: The UN Security Council is set to hold a second informal vote to assess candidates for the next Secretary-General, with Costa Rica's Rebeca Grynspan currently leading after the first vote. • Why it matters: The outcome of this vote could indicate the direction of support for candidates, as well as reveal potential new contenders, amidst a divided Security Council where veto power plays a crucial role. • What to watch next: Observers will be looking for shifts in candidate support and whether any candidates may withdraw following the results, as well as the potential emergence of new candidates in the ongoing selection process.

By Gavin Blackburn Published on 21/08/2026 - 7:29 GMT+2 Share Comments Add Euronews on Google Share Facebook Twitter Flipboard Send Reddit Linkedin Messenger Telegram VK Bluesky Threads Whatsapp Costa Rica's Rebeca Grynspan was the front-runner after last month's first informal vote, in which the council's 15 members, including the five with veto power, pass judgment in secret on the candidates. The UN's most powerful body, the Security Council, will meet later on Friday to hold another straw poll to gauge the popularity of a growing field of contenders to become the organisation's next secretary general. ADVERTISEMENT ADVERTISEMENT Costa Rica's Rebeca Grynspan was the front-runner after last month's first informal vote, in which the council's 15 members, including the five with veto power, pass judgment in secret on the candidates. Argentina's Rafael Grossi, the current head of the UN nuclear watchdog (IAEA), is also a candidate along with Chile's Michelle Bachelet, Ecuador's Maria Fernanda Espinosa, Guyana's Carolyn Rodrigues-Birkett, Uganda's Olara Otunnu and Senegal's Macky Sall. After the first round concluded, Ecuador's Ivonne A-Baki threw her hat into the race to succeed António Guterres, who will complete his second five-year term on 31 December. "While the first straw poll set the scene for the Secretary-General race, the second may give us some direction about where it is headed," said the International Crisis Group's Daniel Forti. United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres arrives for a new conference in Nicosia, 29 July, 2026 AP Photo "Diplomats expect fluctuations in the vote distribution compared to the July poll. Most will be watching to see whether the early front-runners consolidate their support or slip in the standings." "It is unlikely that any candidate will emerge from (Friday's) poll with a decisive lead," he warned. Forti said the veto-wielding nations, France, Russia, China, the United Kingdom and the United States, might wait until later to express their preferences, while new contenders could emerge. Russia's ambassador to the UN, Vassily Nebenzia, said on Thursday he could not rule out that possibility. "If, for example, I'm speculating now, if there is a deadlock on any of the candidates we are seeing today, if nobody... flies, then I think that we may see other candidates as well," Nebenzia said. Rebeca Grynspan, frontrunner for next UN Secretary-General in last month’s vote, speaks in Geneva, 9 June, 2026 AP Photo End of the road? Even if a candidate earns the required nine votes from the 15 available in the Security Council, they must also avoid a veto by the five major powers, which are deeply divided. Once a candidate clears those bars, their name will go to the General Assembly of all UN members for confirmation. The Security Council straw poll was devised in the early 1980s in an attempt to break a deadlock between two candidates shut down by vetoes. IAEA chief Rafael Grossi responds to a reporter's question in Tokyo, 26 June, 2026 AP Photo The informal mechanism has persisted, in various forms, despite criticism from countries opposed to the opaque process. "There is a good chance that some nominees realise after (Friday's) vote that their campaigns have reached the end of the road," Forti added. Each member state must anonymously assign each candidate one of three labels: "encourage," "discourage," or "no opinion." That would give those with no support the opportunity to withdraw, though they are not obliged to. In the first rounds of the process expected to take several weeks, all ballots are the same colour. Related The United Nations risks 'imminent financial collapse', secretary-general Antonio Guterres warnsIsrael freezes out UN chief António Guterres over inclusion on sexual violence list But after an unspecified number of votes, the ballots of the five permanent members will become a different colour from those of the elected members, making it possible to identify potential vetoes, without knowing which country blackballed any given candidate. It is tradition that the UN's top job should rotate between different regions. Under that premise, the role should go to a candidate from Latin America this time. There are many candidates from the region, though Sall and Otunnu hail from Africa. Go to accessibility shortcuts Share Comments Add Euronews on Google Read more Germany fails to gain seat on UN Security Council Russia and China veto UN resolution aimed at reopening Hormuz strait as US deadline for deal looms UN Security Council warns Israeli West Bank plans threaten Gaza truce UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres UN Security Council United Nations vote

Source: Euronews World
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
World

Spain moves hundreds of migrants from Ceuta beach to temporary shelters

• What happened: Spain began relocating hundreds of migrants from a makeshift camp on Ceuta’s El Trampolín beach to temporary shelters after a mass border surge...

World

Five missing after fire in Swiss Alpine town

• What happened: A fire in Thusis, Switzerland, destroyed a restaurant with apartments, leaving five people missing and eight others injured. • Why it matters...

World

Panama Canal to cut number of ships passing through due to El Niño

• What happened: The Panama Canal Authority announced a reduction in the number of vessels allowed to transit the canal from 36 to 32 ships per day starting Sep...

World

Panama Canal to reduce shipping as El Niño fuels drought in lakes that feed waterway

• What happened: The Panama Canal Authority announced a reduction in the number of vessels allowed to transit the canal due to a severe drought exacerbated by t...

World

Australia charges man over trying to inform Russia of Ukrainian military activities

• What happened: A 27-year-old Russian-Australian citizen has been charged in Australia with foreign interference for allegedly attempting to inform Russia abou...

World

Latest news bulletin | August 21st, 2026 – Morning

• What happened: Euronews released its latest news bulletin on August 21, 2026, covering significant stories from Europe and beyond, including a fuel crisis in ...