World

US and South Korean militaries agree to shorten drills days after Trump ordered reduction in joint exercises

Euronews World · 2026-08-19

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: The US and South Korean militaries have agreed to shorten their joint military drills at the request of the US, following President Trump's directive to reduce exercises he deemed "hostile" towards North Korea. • Why it matters: This decision reflects Trump's desire to reengage with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, but it raises concerns about the readiness of US-South Korean defense capabilities amid ongoing tensions with North Korea. • What to watch next: Observers will monitor North Korea's response to the reduced drills and any potential diplomatic developments between the US and North Korea, particularly regarding denuclearization talks.

By Malek Fouda Published on 19/08/2026 - 5:59 GMT+2 Share Comments Add Euronews on Google Share Facebook Twitter Flipboard Send Reddit Linkedin Messenger Telegram VK Bluesky Threads Whatsapp The sudden announcement comes just days after Trump wrote a fiery social media post slamming the joint drills as “hostile” and ordering Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth to scale back future exercises. The South Korean and US militaries have agreed to shorten their drills at the Washington’s request, according to officialss in Seoul, a move that likely reflected President Donald Trump’s hopes to reengage with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un but could undermine US-South Korean defence readiness. ADVERTISEMENT ADVERTISEMENT Earlier in the week, Trump had ordered his Pentagon chief to “substantially reduce” the allies’ summertime Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises, just before they began on Monday. Trump cited what he said was a “very good relationship” with Kim and South Korea’s refusal to join the US war against Iran as the primary reasons behind his decision to pull back from the drills he viewed as “totally inappropriate and hostile” to Pyongyang. South Korea’s military said in a statement the ongoing drills with the US would end on Friday, instead of 27 August as initially planned. It said the allies also agreed to downsize some joint field training exercises. The statement said Seoul and Washington will discuss and carry out various steps to achieve objectives of their drills and establish combined defence postures. The US Army's soldiers conduct a training exercise on a river in Yeoncheon, South Korea, near the border with North Korea, Tuesday, Aug. 18, 2026 Ahn Young-joon/Copyright 2026 The AP. All rights reserved. Ulchi Freedom Shield is largely a computer-simulated command post exercise meant to boost the allies’ readiness to deal with potential North Korean aggression. The two countries usually hold a set of training directly addressing diverse threats within the security environment. The drills and a similar springtime exercise are a central pillar of the alliance, which dates back dates since the 1950-53 Korean War. But it’s also a long-running source of tensions with North Korea, which has denounced the exercises as a rehearsal for an invasion and responded with provocative missile tests. Days before this month's drills began, North Korea launched two ballistic missiles into the sea. This month's drills were reportedly supposed to be held in two phases — the first part until this Friday with a focus on defensive operations in simulation of North Korean attacks and the second part until 27 August to practice counteroffensive operations. Pyongyang is typically extremely sensitive to counteroffensive drills. Kim Jong Un hasn't responded to Trump's overture, but earlier on Wednesday, the country’s state news agency, KCNA, published a commentary slamming the military drills as “frantic” and “extremely dangerous”, vowing to completely frustrate its rivals’ hostilities. FILE - US President Donald Trump meets with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on Sentosa Island in Singapore, on June 12, 2018 Evan Vucci/Copyright 2018 The AP. All rights reserved. “The dangerous escalation of the war drills staged by the US and its vassal forces is posing a more serious threat to the security rights of North Korea,” the commentary said. “Our exercise of its right to self-defence will continue to completely neutralise the enemies’ military threat.” Many experts said Kim, now emboldened by his advancing nuclear programme and expanding military cooperation with Russia, won't likely embrace Trump's overture anytime soon unless he's promised bigger concessions. In response to Trump's previous outreach, Kim suggested last year that he can return to talks only after the US drops its demand of a North Korean denuclearisation as a precondition for diplomacy. Trump and Kim met three times from 2018-2019 but their high-stakes diplomacy eventually fell apart over wrangling over a North Korean demand for extensive sanctions relief in return for limited denuclearisation steps. On Monday, South Korea’s President Lee Jae Myung's office expressed hopes that a “friendly relationship” between Trump and Kim would lead to “meaningful dialogue” between their countries to promote peace on the Korean Peninsula. This drew a strong backlash from conservatives, who alleged Lee's government was prioritising the resumption of Kim-Trump diplomacy over security concerns caused by Trump's move. Go to accessibility shortcuts Share Comments Add Euronews on Google Read more ICC hits back after US announces fresh sanctions on senior court figures Judge blocks Trump administration's attempt to scrap move to Biden-selected FBI headquarters US Supreme Court again rejects Trump's request to overturn sex assault judgement military drill Donald Trump North Korea United States Military exercises South Korea

Source: Euronews World
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
World

Former US official calls shift in relations with Syria ‘surreal’

• What happened: A former US State Department advisor described the evolving relationship between the US and Syria as "surreal," noting that the new l...

World

Latest news bulletin | August 19th, 2026 – Morning

• What happened: A news bulletin was released on August 19, 2026, highlighting key stories from Europe and beyond, including updates on wildfires in Spain and F...

World

South Korea, US scale back annual military drills after Trump’s order

• What happened: South Korea and the United States have reduced the duration of their joint military drills, with the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise being cut fr...

World

Attackers go ‘house to house’ killing 25 villagers in central Nigeria

• What happened: At least 25 villagers were killed in a brutal house-to-house attack in Plateau state, Nigeria, with many victims being women and children. • ...

World

Bali gym owner kicks out three Israeli tourists for links to ‘IDF’

• What happened: A gym owner in Ubud, Bali, expelled three Israeli tourists, citing their alleged connections to the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) as the reason f...

World

US unions sue over new visa rule for foreign students, journalists

• What happened: A coalition of US unions and advocacy groups has filed a lawsuit against the federal government to block new visa regulations that limit the du...