World

US criticises Israel over 'unnecessary escalation' after strikes on Syrian airbase

Euronews World · 2026-08-19

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: The US criticized Israel for its airstrikes on the Abu Duhur airbase in Syria, which Israel claimed were necessary to prevent a breach of security due to potential Turkish troop deployment. • Why it matters: The US described the strikes as an "unnecessary escalation" that could heighten regional tensions, with both Syria and Turkey condemning the attacks and warning of threats to stability. • What to watch next: Monitor the responses from Syria and Turkey, as well as any developments in US-mediated talks between Israel and Syria regarding a potential security agreement.

By Greta Ruffino Published on 19/08/2026 - 8:52 GMT+2 Share Comments Add Euronews on Google Share Facebook Twitter Flipboard Send Reddit Linkedin Messenger Telegram VK Bluesky Threads Whatsapp Israel said it had attacked the base because Syria had been close to breaching an agreed-upon “status quo in security matters” by allowing Turkish troops to deploy there. The US has criticised Israel for striking a Syrian military base near the Turkish border, describing the attack as an “unnecessary escalation.” ADVERTISEMENT ADVERTISEMENT Syrian state TV said eight strikes targeted the runway and storage facilities at Abu Duhur airbase on Tuesday. No casualties were reported. Donald Trump’s special envoy for Syria and Iraq, Tom Barrack, who also serves as US ambassador to Turkey, criticised the Israeli strikes in a social media post. "We are deeply concerned that the confirmed Israeli airstrikes on Abu al-Duhur Airbase constitute an unnecessary escalation that does not advance regional stability," Barrack wrote on X. Damascus and Ankara accused the Israeli military of carrying out the attacks, warning they risked heightening tensions across the region. Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said in a statement that Israel had attacked the base because Syria had been “on the verge of breaching” an agreed-upon “status quo in security matters” by allowing Turkish troops to deploy there. “Israel repeatedly warned Syria that such a deployment would pose a threat to Israel’s security. Syria chose to ignore these warnings,” the statement said. Syria’s foreign ministry condemned the strikes as “an unjustified act of aggression,” warning they threatened regional “security and stability.” Ankara did not say whether Turkish forces had been deployed to the Abu Duhur base, located around 70 kilometres from the Turkish border, but rejected Israel’s claims that Turkey posed a security threat. "The frivolous allegations put forward by the Israeli Prime Minister's office aim to legitimise Israel's unlawful airstrikes targeting Syria's sovereignty and territorial integrity," Turkey’s Communications Directorate said, according to state-run news agency Anadolu. Qatar, Egypt and Saudi Arabia were among several countries in the region to condemn the strikes. A Syrian army checkpoint abandoned near the Abu al-Duhur military airport east of Idlib, 7 December, 2024 AP Photo Tensions between Israel and Turkey over Syria have grown since the fall of Bashar al-Assad’s regime in December 2024, when insurgent forces took control of Damascus. Israel has since carried out hundreds of strikes across Syria, largely targeting former Syrian military assets to prevent them from falling into the hands of the country’s new authorities. Israeli forces also took control of a UN-patrolled buffer zone in southern Syria, where they remain deployed. Syria’s new authorities have said they do not seek conflict with Israel, while Israel has remained wary of the government led by former Islamist insurgents. US-mediated talks between Israel and Syria over a potential security agreement have been under way for more than a year, but have yet to produce a deal. Go to accessibility shortcuts Share Comments Add Euronews on Google Read more US and South Korean militaries agree to shorten drills days after Trump ordered reduction in joint exercises ICC hits back after US announces fresh sanctions on senior court figures US criticises Israel over 'unnecessary escalation' after strikes on Syrian airbase Donald Trump Syria Washington Israel United States

Source: Euronews World
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
World

Indonesian authorities seize 2.6 tonnes of meth in major bust, narcotics official says

• What happened: Indonesian authorities seized 2.6 tonnes of liquid methamphetamine from a Tanzanian-flagged vessel near Bengkalis, arresting ten Myanmar crew m...

World

Mud baths and red water: inside Bulgaria's Lake Atanasovsko

• What happened: Tourists are enjoying mud baths and floating in the red brine of Lake Atanasovsko on Bulgaria's Black Sea coast, while a nearby salt museu...

World

South Africa to Australia: Why coal profits are surging during Iran war

• What happened: South Africa's Thungela Resources reported a doubling of its half-year profits due to increased global demand for coal amid disruptions in...

World

Scaling back US-South Korea drills may fail to woo Kim away from China

• What happened: US President Donald Trump announced plans to scale back joint military exercises with South Korea to signal a willingness for renewed talks wit...

World

Ukraine’s ousted defence minister calls for elections during war

• What happened: Ousted Ukrainian Defence Minister Mykhailo Fedorov called for wartime elections, challenging President Volodymyr Zelenskyy amid ongoing conflic...

World

Australia mushroom killer Erin Patterson's lawyers point to jury irregularities at appeal

• What happened: Erin Patterson, convicted of murdering her husband's parents and aunt by serving them a poisoned meal, is appealing her conviction, citing...