World

US military newspaper editor voices censorship fears after being fired

BBC World · 2026-08-22

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: Erik Slavin, the editor-in-chief of the US military newspaper Stars and Stripes, was dismissed by the Department of Defense for "insubordination," raising concerns about censorship within military media. • Why it matters: Slavin's firing, along with that of other staff members, highlights tensions between the Pentagon and the press, particularly regarding the independence of military reporting amid ongoing conflicts and the Trump administration's media policies. • What to watch next: Observers will be monitoring the Pentagon's response to the backlash over the dismissals and any potential changes in policy regarding military media access and reporting freedoms.

Image caption, Erik Slavin said he had no right to appeal against his dismissalByJamie Whitehead and Paulin KolaPublished17 minutes agoThe editor-in-chief of US military newspaper Stars and Stripes has told the BBC of his concern over censorship a day after being dismissed by the US Department of Defense (DoD) for "insubordination"."This is a time when we really need to hear what's happening," Erik Slavin said, adding that Pentagon officials appeared to be "less and less inclined to speak on the record".Slavin says he believes he was fired for having stated in an interview that "in a hypothetical situation, censorship would be a red line". A reporter and the paper's publisher were also sacked.The Pentagon told the BBC it would not comment. But the sackings come amid tension between the Trump administration and the US media.Image source, Getty ImagesImage caption, Stars and Stripes provides news to US troops around the worldEven though partially funded by the Pentagon, Stars and Stripes has been editorially independent - through a congressional mandate and DoD rules.The newspaper's Middle East reporter Lara Korte said she had also been told she was fired.Both Slavin and Korte say their dismissals - both for insubordination - relate to an interview they gave to CBS's Sunday Morning programme last month, according to the BBC's US partner CBS News.Stars and Stripes reported that publisher Max Lederer was also fired.He had announced his retirement on Tuesday, saying his understanding of the paper's value and mission differed in "fundamental ways" from the Pentagon's plans for the publication.Slavin, who has worked for the paper for 21 years, told the PM programme that he had not been given an official explanation for his dismissal - and was considering his response even though he was not allowed to appeal. He said he did not know if it had to do with his paper's original reporting of conditions aboard USS Abraham Lincoln - the warship which has been deployed in the Gulf for months as the US-Israeli war with Iran continues. The vessel has spent a record-setting uninterrupted time at sea of more than 240 days and family members of sailors aboard have expressed concern about their mental health, with some sailors having reportedly attempted to jump overboard.But Slavin said his dismissal came in a climate where the Pentagon had not had a press conference since May, and where journalists had refused attempts to interfere with their reporting. For her part, Korte wrote on X: "It's a shame for the institution and service members, who swore to defend the Constitution and deserve the right to a free and independent press."The president of the National Press Club, Mark Schoeff Jr, described Slavin's firing as "another brazen attempt by the Pentagon to dictate coverage of the military and should be immediately reversed".An average of 1.4 million people consume Stars and Stripes's content daily, mostly online, according to CBS. The paper is still printed outside the US for members of the military in places with unreliable internet access.In October, leading US news outlets rejected a new policy which barred journalists from entering the building unless they only reported information officially authorised by the DoD. At the time, the New York Times, Washington Post, CNN and the BBC were among the major outlets which said they would not agree to the new rules. The Trump administration argued that the changes were needed to protect national security.In April 2025, a US judge ordered the administration to restore the Associated Press's access to presidential events after it was blocked in a dispute over the term "Gulf of America". A few months prior, the White House broke with tradition and took control of the press pool which covers the US presidency.Related topicsUnited StatesDonald TrumpWhite HouseMore on this story'Quiet, quiet, quiet!' - What triggers Trump to shut down reporters?Published14 hours agoUS commander says mental health a 'priority' on USS LincolnPublished5 days ago

Source: BBC World
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
World

Armed men kidnap dozens in attacks on Nigerian villages

• What happened: Armed men attacked Kpenya Mosque and surrounding villages in Nigeria's Niger State, kidnapping dozens of individuals during the assault. R...

World

Israel’s Chief Rabbi says Palestinians are not a people and have no rights

• What happened: Israel's Chief Rabbi David Yosef claimed that Palestinians are not a distinct people and have no rights, while advocating for Jewish settl...

World

Trump seeks to block the BBC’s attempt to subpoena Ivanka Trump, Trump Jr

• What happened: Donald Trump is seeking to block the BBC's attempt to subpoena his family members, including Ivanka Trump, Donald Trump Jr., and Jared Kus...

World

‘Not a small issue’: People deported by US to Liberia face uncertain future

• What happened: The first group of 20 deportees from the US arrived in Liberia under a new arrangement allowing the country to accept up to 1,200 deportees ove...

World

Seven killed, including two police officers, in UK ‘wrong-side’ car crash

• What happened: Seven people, including two police officers, were killed in a head-on collision in Middlesbrough, UK, involving a vehicle driving on the wrong ...

World

South Korea sending first container ship through Arctic route

• What happened: South Korea's first commercial container ship, the PanStar Acro, has set sail through the Arctic route to Europe, aiming to test the viabi...