World

Vessel hit by ‘unknown projectile’ in Strait of Hormuz, UKMTO says

Al Jazeera · 2026-08-18

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: Vessel hit by ‘unknown projectile’ in Strait of Hormuz, UKMTO says SaveSharefacebookxwhatsapp-strokecopylinkShips anchored in the Strait of Hormuz, August 10, 2026 [Ali Saeedi/Getty Images]By Al Jazeera Staff and ReutersPublished On 18 Aug 202618 Aug 2026A vessel has been struck by an “unknown projectile” while transit... • Why it matters: This update may be relevant for Cyprus residents, visitors, businesses or policymakers. • What to watch next: Follow CyprusDailyLife for updates.

SaveSharefacebookxwhatsapp-strokecopylinkShips anchored in the Strait of Hormuz, August 10, 2026 [Ali Saeedi/Getty Images]By Al Jazeera Staff and ReutersPublished On 18 Aug 202618 Aug 2026A vessel has been struck by an “unknown projectile” while transiting the Strait of Hormuz, causing damage to the engine room and resulting in a crew casualty, the United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) said.The vessel’s company security officer reported the strike to UKMTO early on Tuesday, saying the Omani coastguard was assisting the remaining crew.Recommended Stories list of 3 itemslist 1 of 3US-Iran Memorandum of Understanding expires: How and why it fell apartlist 2 of 3Iran signals readiness for ‘US ground operations’ as strategy shifts gearlist 3 of 3Trump calls on Iran to surrender, threatens Oman over Strait of Hormuzend of listThe British maritime agency said no environmental impact has been reported so far, and authorities are now investigating the incident, including who or what was responsible.UKMTO advised vessels transiting the strait to exercise caution and to report any suspicious activity.The incident comes as shipping through the Strait of Hormuz remains severely disrupted, with daily vessel crossings in the single digits, down from more than 130 a day before the United States and Israel launched the war on Iran — and as tensions over control of the waterway remain high.Iran effectively blocked the strait after the war began on February 28, frequently attacking commercial ships, and says it wants to charge users for passage.A memorandum of understanding between the US and Iran aimed at easing hostilities and unblocking the waterway expired on Monday, while Iran and Oman continue separate talks on future navigation arrangements through the strait.

Source: Al Jazeera
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
World

Israeli settler children attack ambulance in occupied West Bank

• What happened: Israeli settler children attack ambulance in occupied West Bank Israeli settler children attack ambulance in occupied West Bank Video released ...

World

China censors public mourning as it holds former premier's funeral

• What happened: China censors public mourning as it holds former premier's funeral Image source, Getty ImagesImage caption, Zhu Rongji served as China...

World

Doctors remove 3.1kg stone from man's bladder and claim record

• What happened: Doctors remove 3.1kg stone from man's bladder and claim record Image source, Trincomalee General HospitalImage caption, Doctors in Sri Lan...

World

Russia says more than 600 drones targeted Moscow region

• What happened: Russia says more than 600 drones targeted Moscow region SaveSharefacebookxwhatsapp-strokecopylinkFlames and smoke rise from a construction site...

World

Can China’s new Arctic Sea route to Europe replace Middle East chokepoints?

• What happened: Can China’s new Arctic Sea route to Europe replace Middle East chokepoints? SaveSharefacebookxwhatsapp-strokecopylinkThe Russian navy's mi...

World

Mount Etna erupts a day after US tourist killed by lightning

• What happened: Mount Etna erupts a day after US tourist killed by lightning No Comment Video. Mount Etna erupts a day after US tourist killed by lightning Cop...