News

Apollonio, SHSO clash over claim patient was denied care

In-Cyprus · 2026-08-22

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: Apollonio Private Hospital announced that a patient with serious post-operative complications has successfully undergone surgery, amid a public dispute with the State Health Services Organisation (SHSO) over claims that the patient was denied care at a private hospital. • Why it matters: The incident highlights concerns regarding patient care and hospital capacity in Cyprus, as DISY MP Giorgos Pamporidis raised allegations of inadequate treatment, which could lead to questions of liability for medical staff involved. • What to watch next: Apollonio has requested an investigation by the SHSO into the public statements made regarding the case, and further developments may reveal how healthcare providers address the management of complex medical cases in the future.

Local ghsHospitalNicosiaSHSOTop News Apollonio, SHSO clash over claim patient was denied care Pamporides 5 1536x823 Relevant News On the treadmill 22 August 2026 Hospital treatment of four-year-old Marios probed after his death weeks after meningitis diagnosis 22 August 2026 Indonesian students and teachers celebrate Independence Day 22 August 2026 newsroom 22 August 2026 FacebookXWhatsAppEmailPrintViber A patient with serious post-operative complications, at the centre of a public dispute since a complaint by DISY MP Giorgos Pamporidis, has successfully undergone surgery, Apollonio Private Hospital announced. At the same time, the hospital turned against the State Health Services Organisation (SHSO), calling public statements by one of its spokespersons “inaccurate.” The patient’s condition remains stable, according to Apollonio, though her recovery is expected to take considerable time because of her complicated medical history, underlying conditions and an infection from a multidrug-resistant organism. The case came to light on August 20, when Pamporidis alleged that a patient with post-operative complications had been turned away from the emergency department of a private hospital in Nicosia. A doctor from that same institution, he said, had previously carried out a series of operations on her. According to his complaint, a lack of beds was cited as the reason, and the patient was then transferred to Nicosia General Hospital. Pamporidis called the practice “condemnable,” saying he had already raised the matter with the Health Insurance Organisation (HIO) and would also file a complaint with the Patient’s Advocate. He said that if the patient’s outcome were unfavourable, questions of criminal liability could arise for the medical and administrative staff involved. The SHSO’s response Following media reports and social media commentary, the SHSO issued a public statement rejecting any suggestion that doctors at Nicosia General Hospital had refused to provide the patient with the necessary care. The organisation said public hospitals, and Nicosia General in particular, which it described as the only quaternary-care hospital within the General Health System (GHS), “do not turn away necessary care.” This applies, it said, to any case regardless of its complexity or severity. According to the SHSO, taking on patients with post-operative or other complications from the private sector is a common occurrence for public hospitals. As an example, it pointed to the current week alone, when two patients with complications were transferred from a private hospital to Limassol General Hospital, where they were admitted and are receiving treatment. On this specific case, the SHSO said the patient had undergone a series of operations at a private hospital before developing serious post-operative complications, leading her to present at Nicosia General’s emergency department. Its specialist doctors, the organisation stressed, “never refused to provide the necessary medical care.” The SHSO explained that its assessment of the case found that continuing the patient’s care under the hospital and medical team that had carried out her earlier operations was the appropriate choice, provided this was medically feasible and safe. This was for reasons of continuity of care, it said, since that team knew her history and prior procedures directly. Apollonio seeks SHSO investigation Apollonio, part of the Hellenic Healthcare Group (HHG), returned to the issue on Saturday, saying the patient had been operated on that day by a specialised medical team at the hospital. The hospital has asked the SHSO’s management to fully investigate the facts and take “due action” over the spokesperson’s public comments, which it maintains “do not reflect the actual facts of the case.” Effective management of complex cases requires responsibility, readiness and genuine cooperation among all healthcare providers, Apollonio said, adding that everyone involved in such cases must step up, with patient safety and interests as the sole priority. Apollonio and HHG said they would continue making every effort to manage complex cases requiring a high degree of specialisation safely and effectively, and would keep cooperating with all healthcare providers where necessary, always with patients’ best care as their guide. Subscribe to our Newsletter Latest News On the treadmill Hospital treatment of four-year-old Marios probed after his death weeks after meningitis diagnosis Indonesian students and teachers celebrate Independence Day Cyprus fuel prices dive as EU-wide costs rise On this day: Henry Kissinger was named U.S. Secretary of State in 1973 Mazotos residents go to court over desalination unit DISY power struggle brews between Demetriou and Neofytou Follow en.philenews on Google News and be the first to know all the news about Cyprus and the world.

Source: In-Cyprus
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
News

Chinese robot beats Usain Bolt’s 100m world record in test run

• What happened: A humanoid robot named Lightning, developed by Honor, set a new 100-meter sprint record of 9.32 seconds, surpassing Usain Bolt's human rec...

News

Chinese robot beats Usain Bolt’s 100m world record in test run - Cyprus Mail

• What happened: A Chinese robot has reportedly broken Usain Bolt's 100m world record during a test run, surpassing the longstanding record of 9.58 seconds...

News

Swedish police probe online networks after teenage girl killed in school sword attack

• What happened: An 18-year-old man attacked students at a high school in Fagersta, Sweden, with a sword, resulting in the death of a 17-year-old girl and sever...

News

Iran grants permission for a number of Iraqi oil tankers to pass through Hormuz

• What happened: Iran has granted permission for several Iraqi oil tankers to pass through the Strait of Hormuz, following requests from the Iraqi government. ...

News

Things to do on Saturday, August 23

• What happened: A variety of cultural events and activities are taking place across Cyprus on Saturday, August 23, including theatre performances, music festiv...

News

Nicosia awaits extradition of Lithuanian estate agent over Cyprus property fraud

• What happened: Nicosia is preparing to extradite a Lithuanian estate agent implicated in property fraud involving Greek Cypriot properties, following a French...