World

Ebola outbreak in DR Congo becomes deadliest in its history

BBC World · 2026-08-17

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo has become the deadliest in its history, with 2,325 fatalities reported since its declaration on May 15, surpassing the previous record from 2018-2020. • Why it matters: The outbreak is spreading rapidly, with 4,945 confirmed cases and a death occurring every 30 minutes, raising concerns about public health and the effectiveness of current containment measures. • What to watch next: The development of vaccines for the Bundibugyo species of Ebola is underway, with human trials approved in the UK, and the World Health Organization aims to control transmission within three months.

Image source, EPA/ShutterstockImage caption, A new Ebola treatment centre was inaugurated in Rwakole, Bunia, DR Congo on 4 AugustByOttilie MitchellPublished18 minutes agoThe Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo is now the deadliest in its history, according to public health officials.A total of 2,325 people have been killed by the virus since it was declared on 15 May, surpassing the death toll of the country's 2018-2020 outbreak.The outbreak was already the fastest growing on record, UN humanitarian chief Tom Fletcher said last week, warning that "the epidemic is killing someone every 30 minutes". There is currently no approved vaccine available for the Bundibugyo species that has caused the current epidemic but several are in development, including one based on technology used to develop the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine.DR Congo's Institute of Public Health on Sunday said it had recorded 4,945 confirmed cases, including 101 in the previous 24 hours.Comparatively few cases have been identified outside the country: as of 12 August, 20 cases were confirmed in neighbouring Uganda, while two people were treated in Germany and one case was declared in France. However, the pace of the virus's transmission in Dr Congo, where it has spread to six of 26 provinces, has been described as "exceptional" by the World Health Organization. According to Reuters, it took close to five months for the world's deadliest outbreak of 2014-2016 in West Africa to reach 1,000 fatalities - the current outbreak reached 2,000 deaths in less than three months.The outbreak is the 17th to have emerged in DR Congo since Ebola was discovered 50 years ago. Years of conflict and a highly mobile population have added to the country's challenges in controlling the spread of the disease. Figure caption, Why does DRC keep battling disease outbreaks?The WHO has said it hopes to reverse the spread of the disease within three months but warned that this meant bringing transmission under control and not ending the outbreak entirely.Ebola is a rare but deadly viral disease and the Bundibugyo species is even rarer, with only two known prior outbreaks.Symptoms of Ebola, which are similar to the flu or malaria, include fever, headache and tiredness, and can begin suddenly within two to 21 days of infection.As the disease progresses, vomiting and diarrhoea can develop, leading to organ failure. Contact with infected bodily fluids such as blood or vomit causes the virus to spread.The UK's medicines regulator, the MHRA, has given permission for the first human trials of a vaccine for Bundibugyo to go ahead.The jab is being created by a team from the University of Oxford based on the same technology used in the Oxford-AstraZeneca Covid vaccine. Three other groups are also developing different vaccines for Bundibugyo.The WHO is also sponsoring a separate clinical trial in DR Congo to see whether two existing antiviral therapies can improve survival rates.Related topicsDemocratic Republic of CongoEbola virusMore on this storyWhy Uganda is winning the battle against Ebola as virus spreads in DR CongoPublished2 AugustEbola outbreak on track to be deadliest ever, WHO chief saysPublished4 days agoOxfam warns of 'lack of resources' in Ebola outbreakPublished2 days agoWe are chasing Ebola virus - it is ahead of us, WHO warnsPublished6 days ago

Source: BBC World
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
World

Thousands in Indonesia await aid after quake kills 53, overshadowing Independence Day

• What happened: A powerful 7.7-magnitude earthquake struck eastern Indonesia, killing 53 people and injuring over 100, displacing approximately 12,800 resident...

World

Latest news bulletin | August 17th, 2026 – Morning

• What happened: A series of significant news events were reported, including wildfires devastating Europe, a powerful earthquake in Indonesia, and Ukraine'...

World

Lawyer says Israel’s targeting of Palestinian women is a form of genocide

• What happened: Palestinian lawyer Ahmad Ibsais has claimed that Israel's targeting of Palestinian women during the ongoing conflict in Gaza constitutes g...

World

Ben-Gvir calls for killing of '30 to 40' Palestinians in Gaza nightly in taped interview with former hostage

• What happened: Itamar Ben-Gvir, Israel's far-right national security minister, called for the nightly killing of "30 to 40" Palestinians in Gaz...

World

Landslide in South Korea kills one as record rain lashes south

• What happened: A landslide in Geoje, South Korea, triggered by record rainfall, resulted in one death and two injuries, with over 400mm of rain recorded overn...

World

Aussie rules footy players referred to police as detectives investigate sexual assault

• What happened: Several players from the Sydney Swans, an Australian Football League (AFL) team, have been referred to police as detectives investigate an alle...