World

Harvard agrees to pay $53 million after former morgue manager sold donated body parts

Euronews World · 2026-08-19

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: Harvard University has agreed to pay $53 million to settle claims related to a former morgue manager, Cedric Lodge, who sold donated body parts for personal profit. A Boston court has given preliminary approval to the settlement. • Why it matters: The case highlights serious ethical breaches in medical research practices and the importance of trust in organ donation programs. Harvard's response includes establishing funds to support affected families and changes to its anatomical donation program. • What to watch next: The distribution of the settlement funds is expected to take several months, and Harvard plans to implement new measures to prevent similar incidents in the future, including the establishment of an annual scholarship in honor of anatomical donors.

By Greta Ruffino Published on 19/08/2026 - 15:42 GMT+2 Share Comments Add Euronews on Google Share Facebook Twitter Flipboard Send Reddit Linkedin Messenger Telegram VK Bluesky Threads Whatsapp A Boston state court judge gave preliminary approval to the settlement on Tuesday, according to US media, with Harvard saying the distribution of funds is expected to take several months. Harvard University has agreed to pay $53 million (€45.5 million) to settle claims linked to a former morgue manager who stole and sold body parts donated for medical research, with a Boston court reportedly approving the settlement on Tuesday. ADVERTISEMENT ADVERTISEMENT Cedric Lodge, who managed the morgue at Harvard Medical School until he was dismissed in 2023, was sentenced to eight years in prison in December after pleading guilty to trafficking stolen human remains. Harvard said on Monday it would seek court approval to establish “two class action settlement funds totaling $53 million.” "We are grateful to be working together with the plaintiffs to move forward in a way that prioritizes support for families and the (organ donation program) and avoids prolonged litigation,"said Harvard Medical School Dean George Daley and Dean for Medical Education Bernard Chang in a joint letter. Related Jason Arday, former Cambridge University professor at centre of plagiarism row, found dead at home They described Lodge’s actions as “despicable, abhorrent, and a flagrant betrayal of our values as a medical community.” Investigators found that Lodge and his wife had been removing body parts from the school since 2018 “without the knowledge or permission of his employer, the donor, or the donor’s family” before sending them to buyers in other states. Lodge’s wife, Denise, was previously sentenced to one year in prison, while six others who bought human remains from him pleaded guilty and were also sentenced. Harvard Medical School said it would establish an annual financial aid scholarship from the 2027-28 academic year “in appreciation and in honor of all of our anatomical donors.” Under the settlement plan, the school will also provide affected families with a statement condemning Lodge’s crimes and outline changes made to its anatomical donation programme. Go to accessibility shortcuts Share Comments Add Euronews on Google Read more Two UK universities merge to form country's first ‘super-university’ University booted from India AI summit after claiming China-made robotic dog as its own Harvard agrees to pay $53 million after former morgue manager sold donated body parts university Harvard United States

Source: Euronews World
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
World

Seven dead after tourist helicopter crashes in northern Kenya

• What happened: A tourist helicopter crashed at Mount Ololokwe in northern Kenya on Wednesday, resulting in the deaths of all seven people on board, including ...

World

UAE halts all trade and financial dealings with Iran

• What happened: The UAE has suspended all trade and financial dealings with Iran following the firing of two ballistic missiles by Iran towards the country, wh...

World

Mourinho fires Real Madrid shot at Barcelona saying he ‘didn’t need’ Rodri

• What happened: Jose Mourinho, the manager of Real Madrid, expressed confidence in his team's future despite missing out on signing Spanish midfielder Rod...

World

Israeli forces mark Palestinians with numbers amid mass arrests

• What happened: Israeli forces conducted a mass arrest campaign in Qabatiya, West Bank, marking Palestinian detainees with numbers, which has drawn internation...

World

Why aid entering Gaza may not reach those who need it

• What happened: Aid delivery in Gaza is severely hampered by a disrupted logistics chain, with many vehicles damaged or destroyed, limiting the transportation ...

World

War on Iran: Iran allegedly targets the UAE

• What happened: The UAE has suspended trade with Iran following allegations that Iran launched two ballistic missiles targeting the Emirates. • Why it matter...