World

Israel numbers Palestinian detainee foreheads: What we know

Al Jazeera · 2026-08-19

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: The Israeli army confirmed that soldiers marked Palestinian detainees with numbers on their foreheads during a raid in Qabatiya, sparking outrage and condemnation. • Why it matters: This practice has been criticized as dehumanizing and reminiscent of historical atrocities, highlighting ongoing tensions and violence in the occupied West Bank, where Israeli settlers have intensified attacks on Palestinian communities. • What to watch next: Monitor the response from international bodies and human rights organizations regarding the Israeli military's actions, as well as any developments in the ongoing conflict and the situation in Qusra, where settlers have besieged local families.

SaveSharefacebookxwhatsapp-strokecopylinkAn Israeli military vehicle drives near the home of Palestinian-American Loui Ridi, which has been encircled by militant Israeli settlers for more than a week, after Ridi gained access to it, in Qusra, the Israeli-occupied West Bank [Mussa Qawasma/Reuters]By Al Jazeera StaffPublished On 19 Aug 202619 Aug 2026The Israeli army has confirmed that soldiers marked Palestinian detainees with numbers on their foreheads during a raid on the town of Qabatiya, south of Jenin in the occupied West Bank earlier this week.Palestinian news outlets reported the incident, which took place on Monday.Recommended Stories list of 3 itemslist 1 of 3Israeli strike reported to kill at least six in Gaza Citylist 2 of 3US ambassador to Israel calls settler violence ‘terror’list 3 of 3Breastfeeding in Gaza: Mothers seek help to provide for their babiesend of listAccording to the Palestinian Wafa news agency, Israeli forces had deployed in several neighbourhoods of Qabatiya, with local sources telling the news agency that soldiers had searched a number of houses and arrested several young men.The army also said in a statement that troops had arrested two people during the raid who were suspected of “planning and promoting terrorist plots”.However, footage published on Monday from the raid showed a Palestinian man with the number “44” written on his forehead, sparking outrage.Here’s what we know.What happened?One of the detainees, Ahmad al-Hathnawi, who was marked with the number, told Palestinian media that this was the first time that the army had written numbers on his forehead.Al-Hathnawi explained that he had been released from Israeli detention 10 days ago for the fourth time, but said that he had never experienced something like this before.“It was just interrogation and terrorism, intimidation of the families and the freed detainees,” he said.“They are basically trying to send a message that if settlers come into the area, there will be no problems, and that the settlers are going to remain here for a long time,” he added.Israeli settlers, often tacitly or overtly facilitated by Israeli troops, have in recent weeks significantly ramped up attacks on Palestinian communities in the occupied West Bank.Al-Hathnawi explained that there were about “50 detainees, including blindfolded women, in the house” where he was interrogated.But the practice of marking Palestinian detainees with numbers is not new, and was previously reported in April after soldiers had written numbers on the hands of Palestinian women in Jenin. At the time, the Israeli army acknowledged that it was “poor judgement”.What has the army said?In a statement on Tuesday, the Israeli army told the Times of Israel that soldiers had marked detainees in the occupied West Bank.“Commanders made clear to the troops the seriousness of the act, and lessons have been learned,” the military said.Knesset lawmaker Ahmad Tibi condemned the marking and called it “shocking and repulsive” in a post on X.“This is what dehumanisation looks like: erasing the person and turning them into a number. An image that recalls dark periods and should shock every person,” he wrote.What is going on in the West Bank?Israeli forces have ramped up their campaign of raids and arrests in the occupied West Bank.On Monday, illegal settlers put up tents on Palestinian land to create a new settlement outpost near Ramallah, while another group of settlers continues to besiege the village of Qusra, now for the 11th day.The mayor of Qusra told Al Jazeera on Wednesday that he fears the siege of families in the town could represent a “new approach” aimed at forcing Palestinians from their homes.He added that the families’ food supplies would run out within two days and that they urgently needed supplies and medicines.At the same time, the Palestinian prime minister’s office said on Wednesday that Israeli forces and settlers had carried out “more than 467 attacks against Palestinians in the occupied West Bank in just one week”.“At least 75 Palestinian homes and structures were demolished. A relentless escalation of violence, dispossession, and destruction,” the office wrote on X.On Sunday, Francesca Albanese, the United Nations special rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian territory, told Al Jazeera that settler violence and the ongoing siege in Qusra had reached a “climax”.“Israel has outsourced coercion to the settlers and is using them to advance ethnic cleansing,” Albanese said. “This is a crime… This is utter terrorism; these settlers should be investigated and prosecuted.”

Source: Al Jazeera
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
World

Latest news bulletin | August 19th, 2026 – Evening

• What happened: A news bulletin from Euronews on August 19, 2026, highlights significant stories from Europe and beyond, including various world affairs, busin...

World

India rout Pakistan at Hockey World Cup 2026 to qualify for second round

• What happened: India defeated Pakistan 5-3 in a crucial match at the Hockey World Cup 2026, securing their advancement to the second round. • Why it matters...

World

Seven decades of US regime change efforts: What have they achieved?

• What happened: The ongoing conflict between the US and Iran has escalated following US and Israeli strikes on Iran, claiming Tehran was close to acquiring nuc...

World

Israel admits firing on car carrying Hind Rajab, symbol of Gaza’s suffering

• What happened: Israel's military announced a criminal investigation into the death of five-year-old Hind Rajab, who was killed by Israeli fire in January...

World

At least 100 people may have died after gold mine collapsed in Central African Republic

• What happened: At least 100 people are feared dead following a gold mine collapse in the Central African Republic, triggered by the failure of underground tun...

World

'I was born in South Africa', says beauty queen facing legal bid to deport her

• What happened: Beauty queen Chidimma Adetshina, facing deportation from South Africa, claims she was born in the country and has been unfairly targeted by aut...