World

Israel opens criminal probes into killings of Hind Rajab and Palestinian medics

Euronews World · 2026-08-19

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: The Israeli military announced it will open criminal investigations into the killings of five-year-old Hind Rajab and 15 Palestinian medics during the Gaza conflict, following a review of 150 incidents involving Israeli troops. • Why it matters: These investigations come amid international scrutiny and calls for accountability regarding the conduct of Israeli forces in Gaza, particularly concerning civilian casualties and the treatment of aid workers. • What to watch next: Observers will be monitoring the outcomes of these investigations and any potential implications for Israeli military policy, as well as reactions from international bodies and humanitarian organizations regarding the ongoing situation in Gaza.

By Greta Ruffino Published on 19/08/2026 - 18:49 GMT+2 Share Comments Add Euronews on Google Share Facebook Twitter Flipboard Send Reddit Linkedin Messenger Telegram VK Bluesky Threads Whatsapp Criminal investigations are not being opened into three other incidents involving aid workers from World Central Kitchen and Doctors Without Borders. The Israeli military said on Wednesday it would open criminal investigations into two high-profile incidents involving the killing of Palestinians during the war in Gaza, including five-year-old Hind Rajab and members of her family, as well as 15 Palestinian paramedics. ADVERTISEMENT ADVERTISEMENT The announcement came after the military completed reviews of 150 incidents involving the conduct of Israeli troops in Gaza, with decisions reached in five cases. The statement did not address several other high-profile killings that the military had previously pledged to investigate, including Israeli strikes on a hospital in southern Gaza in August 2025 that killed five journalists. The military said it would not pursue criminal investigations into three other incidents involving aid workers from World Central Kitchen and Doctors Without Borders. Related 'The Voice of Hind Rajab': Blending documentary and fiction to portray the war in GazaIsrael rejects the US plan for Gaza accepted by Hamas How did the killings unfold? Both Rajab’s killing in February 2024 and the killing of 15 Palestinian medics in May 2025 drew international attention. Rajab was travelling with six relatives as they tried to flee Gaza City when Israeli troops opened fire on their vehicle. Her 15-year-old cousin, Layan Hamada, called the Palestinian Red Crescent, saying a tank was approaching and that her family had been killed. Seconds later, further gunfire could be heard before Layan’s screams stopped, according to a recording released by the Red Crescent. Hind initially survived the attack and remained in contact with the Red Crescent as it sought permission from the Israeli military to reach her. 12 days later, she, her relatives and two medics sent to rescue her were found dead. The 15 paramedics were killed in Rafah after Israeli troops opened fire on ambulances and other emergency vehicles responding to casualties and searching for a missing ambulance, according to phone footage and the sole survivor. Their bodies and damaged vehicles were subsequently buried in a mass grave. UN and rescue workers recovered the remains about a week later. The Israeli military initially said the vehicles were “advancing suspiciously” without headlights or emergency signals. It later revised its account after footage showed the emergency vehicles moving with flashing lights and visible Red Crescent and Civil Defence markings. “We are not obligated to prove the truth because it is already proven to the whole world,” Eid Azizi, a Palestinian Red Crescent spokesperson, told news agency AP. “We shouldn’t have reached this point if they respected and followed the international humanitarian law.” Go to accessibility shortcuts Share Comments Add Euronews on Google Read more US criticises Israel over 'unnecessary escalation' after strikes on Syrian airbase Kushner's Gaza peace plan talks end without breakthrough Ben-Gvir calls for killing of '30 to 40' Palestinians in Gaza nightly in taped interview with former hostage israel defense forces IDF The Gaza Strip Israel

Source: Euronews World
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
World

Brazil bus crash kills at least 23 and injures five in Parana state

• What happened: A bus carrying patients and healthcare workers collided head-on with a truck in Parana state, Brazil, resulting in at least 23 fatalities and f...

World

NATO ‘prepared’ to defend allies amid report of Iranian strike plans

• What happened: NATO has reaffirmed its readiness to defend allies against potential Iranian attacks on US military targets in Europe, as Bulgaria enhances sec...

World

US Department of Justice defends prosecution of Comey over seashell post

• What happened: The US Department of Justice defended its prosecution of former FBI Director James Comey for a social media post featuring seashells arranged i...

World

Canada and US say they are finalising a trade deal, but details remain murky

• What happened: Canada and the US are finalizing a trade deal aimed at resolving trade irritants, with President Trump and Prime Minister Carney expressing opt...

World

North Korea leader’s sister denies talks with ‘hostile’ US

• What happened: Kim Yo Jong, sister of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, denied any ongoing communication between her brother and US President Donald Trump, lab...

World

Hamas condemns ‘new war crime’ as Israel kills 10 in crowded Gaza hubs

• What happened: Israeli airstrikes in Gaza City and Nuseirat refugee camp resulted in the deaths of at least 10 Palestinians, including police officials, promp...