World

South Korea shortens war games with US citing Washington request

BBC World · 2026-08-19

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: South Korea has announced a six-day reduction in the duration of its annual joint military drills with the US, the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise, at the request of Washington. The exercise will now conclude on August 21 instead of August 27. • Why it matters: This adjustment comes amid ongoing discussions about US-South Korea relations and military strategy, particularly in light of former President Trump's comments regarding military exercises and his desire for improved relations with North Korea. • What to watch next: Observers should monitor upcoming US-South Korea military collaborations, potential meetings between Trump and Kim Jong Un, and any further developments regarding North Korea's military activities and responses to the drills.

Image source, EPAImage caption, US and South Korean soldiers take part in joint drills in 2023ByTabby WilsonPublished34 minutes agoSouth Korea's annual joint military drills with the US will be cut short by six days at the request of Washington, its defence ministry has announced.Seoul said that the "period and scale" of the 2026 Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise had been adjusted due to a "proposal of the US side". The drill will now conclude on 21 August, rather than 27 August as planned. It comes after Donald Trump announced plans to curtail exercises with South Korea, citing his "very good" relationship with North Korea's Kim Jong Un.South Korean Foreign Minister Cho Hyun told a parliamentary hearing that neither South Korean nor US officials had been aware in advance about Trump's plans.The combined field training exercise component of the drills will also be "partially reduced in scale", Seoul said, noting that the "specific details" of that reduction are still under discussion.The announcement comes after US officials told the Wall Street Journal that Trump is pushing his aides for a meeting with Kim Jong Un.Sources told the outlet that the US president had privately discussed setting up an in-person discussion with Kim during his next trip to Asia, which will likely be in November for the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation in China.Over the weekend, Trump wrote on Truth Social: "These exercises are not only costly, with much of these costs paid for by the United States of America (as usual!), but send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile."He added: "While somewhat unrelated (?), I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, 'No thanks!'"Speaking to reporters in the Oval Office on Monday, the president again explicitly linked his decision to South Korea's refusal to "give us a little hand" with Iran."We have 39,000 soldiers over there guarding you from Kim Jong Un, your next door neighbour, and you're not going to help us on a very easy military operation in Iran," he said. "That's strange".Figure caption, Watch: BBC breaks down Trump's latest shift on North and South KoreaUS and South Korean military leaders announced the Ulchi Freedom shield in a joint press conference last week.At the time, they said the event would be similar in scale to previous years, with about 18,000 South Korean soldiers participating. About 28,500 American military personnel are stationed in South Korea.During the news conference, military leaders also mentioned North Korea's deployment of troops to aid Russia's war against Ukraine.US military spokesperson Ryan Donald said "our training accounts for that threat", referring to North Korean soldiers returning from the battlefield. Following that press conference, North Korea's foreign ministry condemned the joint military drills as "a rehearsal for an aggressive war".Related topicsNorth Korea-US relationsKim Jong UnDonald TrumpSouth KoreaUnited StatesMore on this storyTrump says US to reduce military drills with South Korea after it stayed out of Iran warPublished1 day agoRussia using North Korean missiles to strike Ukraine, Zelensky saysPublished11 AugustSouth Korea proposes talks to officially end war with NorthPublished3 days ago

Source: BBC World
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
World

Former US official calls shift in relations with Syria ‘surreal’

• What happened: A former US State Department advisor described the evolving relationship between the US and Syria as "surreal," noting that the new l...

World

Latest news bulletin | August 19th, 2026 – Morning

• What happened: A news bulletin was released on August 19, 2026, highlighting key stories from Europe and beyond, including updates on wildfires in Spain and F...

World

South Korea, US scale back annual military drills after Trump’s order

• What happened: South Korea and the United States have reduced the duration of their joint military drills, with the Ulchi Freedom Shield exercise being cut fr...

World

Attackers go ‘house to house’ killing 25 villagers in central Nigeria

• What happened: At least 25 villagers were killed in a brutal house-to-house attack in Plateau state, Nigeria, with many victims being women and children. • ...

World

US and South Korean militaries agree to shorten drills days after Trump ordered reduction in joint exercises

• What happened: The US and South Korean militaries have agreed to shorten their joint military drills at the request of the US, following President Trump'...

World

Bali gym owner kicks out three Israeli tourists for links to ‘IDF’

• What happened: A gym owner in Ubud, Bali, expelled three Israeli tourists, citing their alleged connections to the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) as the reason f...