News

Trump orders Pentagon to cut back military exercises with South Korea

In-Cyprus · 2026-08-17

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: U.S. President Donald Trump ordered the Pentagon to significantly reduce joint military exercises with South Korea, citing costs and Seoul's refusal to participate in actions against Iran. • Why it matters: This decision reflects ongoing tensions in U.S.-South Korea relations and Trump's desire to engage diplomatically with North Korea, potentially impacting regional security dynamics. • What to watch next: Monitor the response from South Korea regarding the military exercises and any developments in U.S.-North Korea relations, particularly in light of North Korea's recent missile tests.

World Donald Trumpmilitarysouth koreaTop News Trump orders Pentagon to cut back military exercises with South Korea Us President Trump Signs Executive Order On Childhood Vaccines newsroom 17/08/2026 FacebookXWhatsAppEmailPrintViber U.S. President Donald Trump on Sunday instructed the Pentagon to “substantially reduce” joint military exercises with long-term Asian ally South Korea, citing the cost of the drills and Seoul’s refusal to take part in actions against Iran. Hours before exercises were scheduled to begin, Trump said on his Truth Social site he was “not happy” that the U.S. had agreed to participate and highlighted his “very good relationship” with Kim Jong Un, the leader of nuclear-armed and heavily sanctioned North Korea. “These exercises are not only costly… but send a signal that is totally inappropriate and hostile, to a Country that, as long as Donald J. Trump has been President, has been unthreatening and respectful,” Trump wrote. The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield joint military exercises are scheduled to run until August 27, with about 18,000 South Korean military personnel participating. South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff told Reuters the drills started on Monday as scheduled. South Korea’s presidential Blue House said it was reviewing Trump’s post and “hopes that the friendly relationship between the U.S. and North Korean leaders will lead to meaningful dialogue between the two countries, opening discussions aimed at advancing peace and stability on the Korean Peninsula,” it said. The allies would continue coordinating on their combined defense posture and military exercises, it said. Responding to Trump’s claim that President Lee Jae Myung had refused to join U.S. efforts to denuclearise Iran, it said Seoul was discussing potential military contributions, while considering its defense readiness on the Korean Peninsula and domestic legal procedures. A Pentagon spokesperson referred questions on the matter to the White House, which did not immediately respond to a request for details. UP-AND-DOWN RELATIONSHIP Trump has long sought to end or curtail military exercises with South Korea while clashing with Seoul over sharing the costs of stationing 28,500 U.S. troops in South Korea and their role in securing the broader region. North Korea, still technically at war with the South, routinely denounces the U.S.-South Korean exercises as preparations for an invasion. Pyongyang last week fired a ballistic missile from its eastern coast towards the Sea of Japan, days after a similar North Korean short-range ballistic missile launch. “This decision may be part of a larger effort to create a diplomatic opportunity with Pyongyang, as Trump has consistently wanted since coming back to office, although the haphazard nature of this move is unlikely to make much of an impression in Pyongyang,” Jenny Town, head of the Stimson Center think tank’s 38 North program, said in an email. The relationship between Trump and Kim has been a roller coaster for years. Trump once mocked the North Korean leader as “little rocket man” and threatened Pyongyang with “fire and fury,” while Kim boasted that he would “tame the mentally deranged U.S. dotard with fire.” Yet they also took part in three summits, with Trump declaring, “we fell in love” after exchanging letters with Kim. None of these efforts led to changes in North Korea’s nuclear weapons or ballistic missile development. Even as Trump on Sunday spoke warmly of North Korea, he pointed to South Korea’s stance on the U.S.-Israeli conflict with Iran. “While somewhat unrelated (?), I recently asked the President of South Korea if they would like to join us in the Denuclearization of the Islamic Republic of Iran, and they said, ‘No thanks!'” Trump wrote. EXERCISES SHIFT TO SIMULATIONS It’s unclear how the drills could be cut back, but in recent years, they have shifted away from live-fire exercises to computer-simulated missile and cyberattacks. Victor Cha, head of the Korea program at Washington’s Center for Strategic and International Studies, said Trump may be seeking greater influence over North Korea as Pyongyang has been heavily engaged in support of Russia in Ukraine. “The other way to look at this is that Trump wants to engage Kim as a way to impede the Russia-NK ties,” said Cha. U.S. military officials have said North Korean troops, who have fought alongside Russia in its invasion of Ukraine, have gained experience from the conflict, while Ukraine said last week that North Korean-made missiles were used in a Russian ballistic missile attack on a steel plant in Zaporizhzhia. A high-ranking U.S. Northern Command official, Lieutenant General Joseph Jarrard, last week warned that North Korea had successfully tested intercontinental ballistic missiles with “enough boost to deliver a nuclear payload anywhere in North America.” ECONOMIC FACTORS While Trump has repeatedly called for South Korea to shoulder a bigger burden of defense costs, a U.S. official this year called Seoul a “model ally” committed to increasing defense spending in line with U.S. regional strategy. There are also broader economic tensions. A former U.S. official who worked in the first Trump administration told Reuters he believed Trump is “frustrated with the intransigence” of the South Korean administration in addressing economic issues. “The Lee government has repeatedly pursued policies antagonistic to American companies and shown little interest in following through on the historic investment deal with the United States,” the official said. The countries signed a trade deal last year to lower Trump’s auto tariffs in exchange for Seoul’s commitment to invest $350 billion. South Korea has not announced details of its investment plan. The allies have been at odds over a dispute involving U.S.-listed e-commerce company Coupang, which is being investigated by Seoul over a massive data leak. (Reuters) Subscribe to our Newsletter Follow en.philenews on Google News and be the first to know all the news about Cyprus and the world. Latest News Kushner to hold talks with Netanyahu after rare meeting with Hamas Search for Indonesia earthquake victims underway on Independence Day Girl still intubated, sister out of danger after mother drowns at Larnaca beach 49th Wind and Kite Festival in Villa de Leyva, Colombia On this day: Michael Phelps becomes first Olympian to win eight gold medals at a single Games, in2008 Larnaca crowning raises questions over lifeguard cover hours Paphos steps up fire patrols after week of blazes

Source: In-Cyprus
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
News

Eurobank: Leading bank for individuals and business clients

• What happened: Eurobank has been recognized by Euromoney as the Best Bank in Cyprus for 2026 and the Best Bank for Large Enterprises, reflecting its significa...

News

Woman, 19, arrested after allegedly assaulting police officer in Ayia Napa

• What happened: A 19-year-old woman was arrested in Ayia Napa for allegedly assaulting a police officer, resisting arrest, using insulting language, and causin...

News

Who counts as energy poor in Cyprus? New criteria proposed

• What happened: Cyprus is proposing new criteria to identify energy-poor households based on income, energy costs, and home energy efficiency, with a public co...

News

Can a 17-year-old ride a jet ski in Cyprus? What the law says after Protaras crash

• What happened: A 17-year-old girl operating a jet ski in Protaras collided with a towed inflatable, injuring two passengers and requiring hospital treatment f...

News

Five patients receive transplants from one Cypriot donor

• What happened: Five patients received life-saving organ transplants from a single Cypriot donor, a young woman who died in a traffic accident, with successful...

News

Five patients receive transplants from one Cypriot donor - Cyprus Mail

• What happened: Five patients in Cyprus received life-saving organ transplants from a single donor, showcasing the effectiveness of organ donation programs. ...