News

Two vehicles damaged in Trachoni arson attack

Cyprus Mail · 2026-08-23

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: An arson attack in Trachoni, Limassol, damaged two vehicles and affected a third, marking the second such incident in the district on the same night. • Why it matters: The deliberate nature of the fire has raised concerns among local residents about a potential increase in arson attacks, prompting police involvement for further investigation. • What to watch next: Authorities are urging the public to provide any information related to the incidents as the investigation progresses, and the community remains vigilant for further developments.

**Title: Two Vehicles Damaged in Trachoni Arson Attack**

In the early hours of Sunday, an arson attack in Trachoni, Limassol, resulted in extensive damage to two vehicles parked near the community council offices. This incident marks the second reported arson event in the district within the same night.

Fire service spokesman Andreas Kettis reported that firefighters received the emergency call at approximately 1:47 AM. Upon arrival, they found two vehicles engulfed in flames. Firefighters worked swiftly to extinguish the fire; however, both vehicles were left severely damaged. Additionally, the paintwork of a third vehicle parked nearby was also affected by the blaze.

An investigation into the cause of the fire revealed that it had been deliberately set, according to Kettis. The authorities are treating the incident seriously, and the case has been handed over to the British Bases police for further investigation, as Trachoni falls under their jurisdiction.

Local residents have expressed concern over the recent spate of arson attacks in the area. The police are urging anyone with information regarding the incidents to come forward to assist in the investigation.

As the investigation continues, the community remains on alert, hoping for swift action to prevent further incidents.

Source: Cyprus Mail
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
News

Iran says new sanctions threatened by ‘desperate’ US will fail

• What happened: Iran's foreign minister dismissed the U.S. threat of new sanctions as a sign of desperation, asserting that such measures would fail to de...

News

Man remanded over €6,800 online banking scam

• What happened: A 28-year-old man was remanded for five days by the Paphos District Court in connection with an online banking fraud case involving a scam that...

News

The energy challenges of the next presidency

• What happened: Cyprus is facing significant energy challenges as it approaches the 2028 presidential election, with high electricity prices, energy security i...

News

Lanier crushes Naraoka to become first Frenchman to win singles world title

• What happened: Alex Lanier defeated Kodai Naraoka 21-11, 21-11 to become the first Frenchman to win a singles title at the Badminton World Championships. • ...

News

What’s on at the 2nd Larnaca Film Festival

• What happened: The 2nd Larnaca Film Festival is taking place from August 27 to 30, featuring film screenings, live music, workshops, and walking tours organiz...

News

Pension reform to bring increases for all retirees, minister says

• What happened: The Cypriot government announced a comprehensive pension reform aimed at increasing benefits for all retirees, particularly those on lower pens...