Russia

VK Sues Apple in Moscow Court Over App Store Removals

The Moscow Times · 2026-08-21

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: Russian tech giant VK has filed a lawsuit against Apple in a Moscow court after the removal of its apps from the App Store, which Apple attributed to compliance with international sanctions. • Why it matters: VK is seeking the restoration of its apps and compensation of 58 million rubles daily until compliance, highlighting tensions between Russian companies and Western tech firms amid ongoing sanctions. • What to watch next: The Moscow court's ruling on VK's request and potential implications for Apple and other tech companies operating in Russia as sanctions evolve.

Aug. 21, 2026 Alexander Nemenov / AFP Russian tech giant VK has filed a lawsuit against Apple in a Moscow arbitration court after the U.S. company removed VK’s apps from its App Store earlier this summer. Apple removed VK’s platforms in June, citing compliance with international sanctions, though EU sanctions targeting the Russian company were announced only a month later. In its Wednesday filing, VK requested that the Moscow court order Apple to restore its applications to the App Store, reinstate push notifications for users and impose daily penalties if Apple fails to comply with the ruling. “Apple unilaterally removed VK apps from the App Store without warning,” VK’s press service told the Interfax news agency. The Russian tech company is seeking daily compensation of 58 million rubles ($700,000) until Apple reinstates its apps. Last month, the EU said it sanctioned VK over its role in developing the Kremlin-backed messaging app Max, which critics say was created for mass surveillance and censorship. Both VK applications and Max have also been removed from Google’s Play Store. Read more about: VKontakte , Court cases Sign up for our free weekly newsletter Our weekly newsletter contains a hand-picked selection of news, features, analysis and more from The Moscow Times. You will receive it in your mailbox every Friday. Never miss the latest news from Russia. Preview Subscribers agree to the Privacy Policy We sent a confirmation to your email. Please confirm your subscription. A Message from The Moscow Times: Dear readers, We are facing unprecedented challenges. Russia's Prosecutor General's Office has designated The Moscow Times as an "undesirable" organization, criminalizing our work and putting our staff at risk of prosecution. This follows our earlier unjust labeling as a "foreign agent." These actions are direct attempts to silence independent journalism in Russia. The authorities claim our work "discredits the decisions of the Russian leadership." We see things differently: we strive to provide accurate, unbiased reporting on Russia. We, the journalists of The Moscow Times, refuse to be silenced. But to continue our work, we need your help. Your support, no matter how small, makes a world of difference. If you can, please support us monthly starting from just $2. It's quick to set up, and every contribution makes a significant impact. By supporting The Moscow Times, you're defending open, independent journalism in the face of repression. Thank you for standing with us. Once Monthly Annual Continue Not ready to support today? Remind me later. × Remind me next month Remind me Thank you! Your reminder is set. We will send you one reminder email a month from now. For details on the personal data we collect and how it is used, please see our Privacy Policy. Read more Moscow Graduate Arrested on Treason Charges After ‘Carousel Arrests’ Leonid Katz, a 22-year-old graduate of the Higher School of Economics, had been subjected to four consecutive administrative arrests since early October... 2 Min read Vice President of Putin’s ‘Personal Cashbox’ Jailed 8.5 Years for Bribery Igor Andreev was arrested in March 2024 after police investigators said they caught him receiving part of an illicit payment tied to a real estate development... 2 Min read Ex-Detention Center Warden in Irkutsk Jailed 5 Years for Abusing Inmates Igor Mokeev and his deputy were found guilty of overseeing the abuse of dozens of inmates who had been transferred to the detention center following a deadly... 1 Min read Russian Court Orders Baring Vostok's Calvey to Be Kept in Custody Until April The judge said Calvey, a U.S. citizen, was accused of a "serious crime" and could try to flee.

Source: The Moscow Times
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
Russia

Germany’s gas reserves fall to record low — association

• What happened: Germany's gas storage facilities are at a record low of 49% capacity, down from 67% last year, according to the Association of Gas Storage...

Russia

Six countries’ special force units to participate in competitions in Urals

• What happened: Special forces units from Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Mongolia, and Russia will compete in the seventh Vyzov 7 (Ch...

Russia

52 killed in Nigeria boat disaster

• What happened: At least 52 people died when an overloaded boat capsized in Sokoto State, Nigeria, while transporting farm workers, with many victims being wom...

Russia

En+ electricity generation rises by 5.1% to 41.1 bln kWh in H1

• What happened: En+ reported a 5.1% increase in electricity generation, totaling 41.1 billion kWh in the first half of 2026, with hydropower generation rising ...

Russia

EU fails as mediator in Kosovo and Metohija settlement — MFA

• What happened: The Russian Foreign Ministry criticized the European Union for failing as a mediator in the Kosovo and Metohija situation, highlighting an esca...

Russia

IN BRIEF: Kremlin on Putin’s work schedule, Polish PM’s justification of terrorist attacks

• What happened: Russian President Vladimir Putin is scheduled to hold an in-person operational meeting of the Russian Security Council, while Polish Prime Mini...