News

Paphos father charged with negligence after leaving 11-year-old home alone to watch football in Albania

In-Cyprus · 2026-08-21

AI SUMMARY

• What happened: A Paphos father was charged with child abandonment after leaving his 11-year-old daughter home alone for two days while he traveled to Albania for a football match. • Why it matters: The case highlights concerns about child safety and parental responsibility, prompting police and social services to intervene for the child's protection. • What to watch next: The father is scheduled to reappear in Paphos District Court on September 18 to answer the charges against him.

Local albaniachildrenCrimefootballPaphosTop News Paphos father charged with negligence after leaving 11-year-old home alone to watch football in Albania Aeb430a2 4612 45e3 85b0 107c29b7d95f Relevant News Paphos father charged with negligence after leaving 11-year-old home alone to watch football in Albania 21 August 2026 Lara beach umbrellas unwarranted, fines too low, officials say 21 August 2026 Fire Service crews rescue dozens trapped in lifts as power cut hits Cyprus 21 August 2026 Dora Christodoulou 21 August 2026 FacebookXWhatsAppEmailPrintViber A single father who left his 11-year-old daughter alone at home for two days so he could travel with Pafos FC to Albania for last night’s football match was arrested upon the delegation’s return this morning, and a case has already been filed against him before Paphos District Court. The father was charged with abandonment of a child under 16, contrary to Articles 2 and 54 of the Children Law, Cap. 352, as amended. The police representative told the court that between August 19 and 20, while he had care and control of his child, he abandoned her and exposed her to danger in a way that could have caused unnecessary harm to her health. Following his arrest this morning, when the delegation returned to Paphos Airport, the father was taken directly to Paphos District Court, where the case was filed. His reappearance before the court was set for September 18, when he is due to answer the child abandonment charge. Until then, the court ordered his release on conditional bail, upon payment of 15,000 euros. The arrested man was represented by lawyer Dr Artemis Savvidou, while prosecutor Matthaios Antoniou represented the prosecution. As previously reported, the incident came to authorities’ attention yesterday, when neighbours of the family told police the girl appeared to have been alone and unsupervised at home since the previous day, Phileleftheros has learned. Officers from the Paphos Police Directorate who went to the scene found the 11-year-old at the house. She told them she was alone and that her father had left to watch Pafos FC’s European away match in Albania. Police immediately informed Social Welfare Services, who took over the child’s protection and care. Read more: Paphos father leaves 11-year-old daughter home alone to travel abroad Subscribe to our Newsletter Latest News Lara beach umbrellas unwarranted, fines too low, officials say Fire Service crews rescue dozens trapped in lifts as power cut hits Cyprus Playing hide and seek with the population in the occupied areas Work and human worth Iran’s target isn’t Cyprus. It’s the Bases. Island-wide power outage caused by solar park communication failure Russia is ready for new ideas on Ukraine peace, but with conditions, senior diplomat says Follow en.philenews on Google News and be the first to know all the news about Cyprus and the world.

Source: In-Cyprus
RELATED NEWS

More Stories

All News
News

Nicosia mayor refutes that traffic closure is core issue facing Makarios

• What happened: Nicosia Mayor Charalambos Prountzos stated that the closure of Makarios Avenue to traffic is not the main issue affecting local businesses and ...

News

Airbus backs down on return-to-office after protests, sources say

• What happened: Airbus has modified its return-to-office policy, allowing managers to maintain existing remote work arrangements after facing protests and stri...

News

Bank of Cyprus Seeks the Next Generation of Technology, Cybersecurity and Digital Transformation Professionals

• What happened: Bank of Cyprus is expanding its technology teams by recruiting professionals in various fields, including Software Engineering, Data & AI E...

News

Cyprus residents flock abroad as overseas trips top two million milestone

• What happened: Cyprus residents are projected to make a record 2.1 million trips abroad in 2023, marking a 7% increase from the previous year, with Greece rem...

News

Iran vows ‘devastating’ response as US threatens toughest ever economic hit

• What happened: Iran has warned of a "devastating" response to new U.S. threats of unprecedented economic sanctions aimed at destabilizing its leader...

News

Larnaca beats Greece, Spain and Italy in autumn holiday rankings

• What happened: Larnaca has been ranked as the third-best autumn holiday destination in southern Europe, surpassing popular resorts in Greece, Spain, and Italy...