Local domestic violencePaphosTop Newstrial Court to rule on custody in Paphos domestic violence case Paphos Astynomia Relevant News Court to rule on custody in Paphos domestic violence case 20 August 2026 Trilogy Limassol Seafront: a dining destination 20 August 2026 Theta Mediterranean: seafood by the water in Pervolia 20 August 2026 Fanis Makrides 20 August 2026 FacebookXWhatsAppEmailPrintViber A Paphos court is due to rule on Friday on whether a 48-year-old man accused of domestic violence offences should be held in custody until trial. His trial is set to begin on September 3. The man, a Greek Cypriot, was arrested on Tuesday over alleged breaches of domestic violence legislation, and a criminal case was filed against him the same day. The Paphos District Court has now reserved its decision on the prosecution’s custody request until Friday. The charges Prosecutors have charged him with psychological violence, threats, insulting behaviour, disobeying a court order and contempt of court. According to information seen by philenews, the alleged offences involve a former partner, and the charge sheet accuses him of breaching a court order imposing restraining measures. Philenews has learned that Tuesday’s arrest followed a verbal altercation at a public event attended by both the accused and his former partner. Media attention The case has drawn press coverage since Tuesday evening, and sources told philenews the man’s name previously came up in connection with separate public-interest matters relating to Paphos that emerged earlier this year, though further details were not available. At least three other, near-identical cases have been filed against him in recent years, also involving his former partner, philenews understands. It was this history that led the prosecution to request he be held in custody until trial, arguing there was a risk of “repetition of offences against the complainant.” Both the prosecution and the defence made submissions on the request, and the court reserved its ruling for Friday. Defence pushes back Defence lawyer Alexandros Alexandrou, asked by philenews to comment on the case filed against his client last Tuesday, contended the custody request was unjustified. He said two of the four cases brought against his client date back more than five years, and that the presumption of innocence should prevail. He argued the state’s own delay in bringing such cases to trial should not now be held against the accused. Asked about the severity of the allegations, Alexandrou called them “alleged threats” rather than violence, concluding: “My client did not use violence.” Subscribe to our Newsletter Latest News Trilogy Limassol Seafront: a dining destination Theta Mediterranean: seafood by the water in Pervolia Biker accused of running down officer, fleeing scene, loses court challenge COP31: Ankara’s Cyprus snub triggers Brussels warning Fine weather expected Thursday, highs of 38C inland Cyprus disability benefits rise 10%, backdated to January Cyprus pension reform explained: What’s proposed and what happens next Follow en.philenews on Google News and be the first to know all the news about Cyprus and the world.
Man arrested over 500g cocaine find
• What happened: A 26-year-old man was arrested in Famagusta after police discovered 500 grams of cocaine during a search of a residential property. • Why it ...